Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I couldnt find a painting section so I figured this is the next best thing...
I am starting to paint my 1/350 Enterprise model and was following the "Progress of Star Trek TMP Style 1/350 Refit" thread. Im planning on painting the Iridescent color changing lacquers on for the aztecing. I have started with my base coat with Tamiya TS-27 which my local hobby shop told me was a synthetic lacquer and would be fine with using other lacquers over the top. Today I went into the same hobby shop to get 2 more cans of the TS-27. He only had 1. He then told me that Tamiya XF-2 is the same thing. So I bought both these items thinking he knew what he was talking about. Planning on using the XF-2 with my airbrush...
Well, I get home to notice that the XF-2 says its an Acrylic Paint. My question is... will the XF-2 Acrylic paint react with the Iridescent Lacquer I plan on using for the aztecing?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Checksum,

I wouldn't mix em.

The cardinal rule I follow is to mix only the same paints with each other (Testors' enamels with Testors' enamels, Testors' acrylics with Testors' acrylics, Tamiya acrylics with Tamiya acrylics, etc.)

I will sometimes mix craft store acrylics with either their name brand thinners, or with some windshield wiper fluid.

Also, I've heard of lacquer thinners or Xlyene (Xlylol) being mixed with enamel paints, to speed up the curing time. (Be V-E-R-Y CAREFUL when using this, the lacquer thinner, and any of the paints, for that matter. Use a respirator).

I've posted an article (Airbrushing 101) on my website, which may be helpful:
http://www.scififantmodmadrealm.com/Airbrushing101.html .

Ultimately, you are your own judge in this. If you decide to forge ahead, do a little bit experimenting first. Try it on an unwanted model, or a piece of sheet styrene.

Take care.

- Tony

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
You can paint Tamiya acrylic safely over Tamiya lacquer. Note though the colors you have are not the same. The XF series of paints are flat too. Now, you may not want to apply the lacquers over the acrylics. If you want or need to, experiment first. Tamiya's plastic safe synthetic lacquers are not as hot as hardware or automotive type but will still blister other model paints. You might also want to use some caution with hotter lacquers over the Tamiya spray as it is a fairly inert type of paint. Generally you apply paints from hottest to mildest. Going backwards will make a mess. You would apply automotive/industrial lacquers, synthetic lacquers, enamels, acrylics in that order.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The main thing for me is to find a suitable undercoat for the Wasco Poly-Transpar Iridescent Lacquers. I would even be fine using some type of automotive paint in a can if its compatible with the Wasco PTI Lacquers.
This is the 3rd time I have trusted this guy at my local hobby shop only to find out later that he was full of it. I dont think Im going back there and will just order my stuff from the net from now on.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looking at the ingredients of the Tamiya Color TS-27 I see it looks like it has acrylic and nitrocellulose in it. So it seems to be a blend of lacquer and arcylic.
Does anyone know of any automotive brands that can be used in place of the Tamiya TS-27? Something that has the same contents? Im tired of buying it in tiny 100ml cans for 6 bucks. Or possibly do they make the same type TS-27 in an airbrush form?

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
The problem you are having is you are trying to mix automotive/industrial paints with hobby paints on a model. None of those products are meant to go together. Unless the hobby shop guy has used those same paints he won't know... Thats a problem and risk with using paints not meant for something.

You can decant Tamiya spray paints into a jar, let them air out a bit to get rid of the gasses, and airbrush them.

I don't know what Wasco Lacquers are but they probably make a primer or undercoat. or you could ask the company what can be used under their paint. Other lacquer automotive paints go fine over auto primer which can be purchased in white, grey, and red.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far I have not painted anything on the model except Tamiya Color TS-27. The problem Im having is that my local hobby shop only had 2 cans of the 100ml TS-27. I would like probably 2-3 more since that stuff doesnt go very far.
The problem I am having with the owner of the Hobby shop is that I explained exactly what I wanted to do. That I wanted to give my model a base coat and then use the Wasco Lacquers to do the aztecing over the top. First time he sold me a can of the TS-27. The second time he said he only had 1 more can of the TS-27 and that the XF-2 is the same thing but for airbrush. Even when I was in the 2nd time I explained again that I was gonna be aztecing with lacquers and he still sold me the XF-2 which says its acrylic. So either he doesnt know what he's talking about or he doesnt care.
The only other option for me is to order a couple cans of the TS-27 online. But I cannot seem to find it. Whenever I type in Tamiya TS-27 the only relavant results are the Tamiya site. And they dont appear to sell it.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
There's an article on Tamiya USA's website for decanting paint for airbrushing.

Wasco Polytranspar is taxidermy paint. Also comes in an acrylic. Kit Kraft in Studio City used to carry it during the height of the garage figure kit boom, but not anymore.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Sparvar and Rustoleum make a white primer. (Home depot/Lowes)
I'm thinking that might be your best bet for the undercoat.
Auto paints are pretty "hot" chemically. And you need a durable ,compatable primer to protect the plastic
If you want to try the tamiya under..use it on a spare kit, try to fine one with the same plastic.

Steve

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its not the decanting of Tamiyas paint that Im worried about. The stuff is already expensive enough. Im just trying to find a suitable undercoat. I did buy some Plasticote Lacquer and tried it on a spoon over some Tamiya TS-27 and it seems fine. So I'll probably go with that...
Thanks

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
The XF-2 is an alcohol-based paint. If you paint something with the XF-2, and then put it in a container of 91% isopropyl alcohol, the paint will disappear pretty quickly...it melts away instead of flaking off. I'm not too sure what the TS-27's composition is, but I'd test it using said method. If the 91% isopropyl alcohol doesn't melt the TS-27 away, I'd be extremely unsure of its compatibility with the XF-2.

I haven't spray-painted anything in years, but I seem to recall that Tamiya's Fine Surface Primer worked well as a base for their lacquers.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
alcohol doesn't melt Tamiya's lacquer paints. They are actually quite hard to remove.

Tamiya surface primer is awesome. It goes on much much better than their TS-27 Flat White spray. I actually don't like TS-27 very much although I like Tamiya's sprays.

Tower Hobbies has TS-27 in stock if you do need more.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
alcohol doesn't melt Tamiya's lacquer paints. They are actually quite hard to remove.
Tamiya's instruction sheets always seem to imply that their lacquers and acrylics are fully compatible. However, they're quite obviously of different chemical compositions, so I don't know how much faith I'd have that they are compatible.

As an aside, what will remove Tamiya lacquer? For the most part, any paint that cannot be removed with water, 91% isopropyl alcohol, or Simple Green is not allowed in my house.

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Well they are compatible in that if you notice they seem to recommend spraying the big parts and large areas of color with the spray lacquers and doing detail painting with their acrylics or enamels (yes Tamiya makes enamels).

Ehhh not being able to have a real solvent is a handicap. Stuff like Super Clean/Simple Green is not great on the lacquers. It will sort of remove some of it sometimes. Tamiya's plastic safe lacquer thinner will remove it. I wouldn't soak parts for a long time but for a quick wipe down it does the job.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
About the only thing that'll remove Tamiya lacquer is Easy-Off oven cleaner. It won't attack the styrene, but it's a helluva mess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts