Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of you that deal with Tamiya Acrylic "Smoke", I want to lay a light coat of this over a auto lacquer finish. Am I better off sealing the auto paint with an acrylic, and then misting on the smoke? Or can I mist the smoke directly on the auto lacquer?

Also, the "smoke' in the Tamiya bottle seems to thick to airbrush as is, am I right in assuming you can thin it like any acrylic?

I've spent a few weeks getting the lacquer finish smooth and clean, and don't want to screw it up at this point!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Well, do a test piece first.

It does spray fine, but best thin it with the Tamiya X-20 thinner.

Auto lacquers tend to be one pack acrylic anyway, so shouldn't be a problem. It does tend to come out quite shiny - I think I tried some Flat base with it once. Or matt over it later on.

·
Registered
5,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flux Chiller said:
Well, do a test piece first.

It does spray fine, but best thin it with the Tamiya X-20 thinner.

Auto lacquers tend to be one pack acrylic anyway, so shouldn't be a problem. It does tend to come out quite shiny - I think I tried some Flat base with it once. Or matt over it later on.
Great minds think alike, I tried it earlier on one of the robots unglued hands and it worked fine. I'm applying it to the main body in very light coats. The only trick is you have to keep it very light and fine, or else the thinned 'smoke" will try to bead up and run on the hard auto paint if applied too thickly.

First time I used this stuff, I like it, the darkening effect is pretty subtle and easy to gradiate!

thanks for the tips, Flux!

·
Registered
246 Posts
No problem sir!

You can usually rely on Tamiya, but yes you do have to be careful not to get runs.

I use this stuff on engines sumps for an oily look

·
Registered
325 Posts
I usually thin it with both Tamiya thinner and a bit of Future to extend it. Makes it even finer on the gradiations. You can dump some flat base into it for a semi-gloss finish but I've never been able to get it to go flat.

Over hard shiney coats, yes, a leelte paint is your friend. Otherwise it likes to bead up on the surface.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts