Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do we not have an onboard tach with push button display for rpm. With all the technology out there this shouldnt be a problem to come up with. And i have the eagle tree stuff but it is way to big. We need a small module with small display that plugs into the motor sensor harness to read rpm and works off of the reciever pack. Let it count each lap and max rpm for the lap. C'mon tech gods of rc, this should be a walk in the park

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
I would think that the new ESC's with timing advance already have an internal tach that is used in relation to timings, all that would be needed is a port to access/dipslay the data.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The new v3 hobbywing records the max rpm each run if thats what your looking for.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i dont want to have to plug up to a pc to see results. i would like to pull the body off and hit a recall button and scroll through the laps to see max rpm for each lap then have a reset button for the next run. it would have to work off the loop of the scoring system to identify each lap...basically like the old orion lap counters but for rpm instead of lap times and a ton smaller to fit in your car

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Anyone use a Novak sentry data logger? If so how do they work? Might be a good alt. to a chassis dyno.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Anyone use a Novak sentry data logger? If so how do they work? Might be a good alt. to a chassis dyno.
I have one, but it's usefulness in the car is questionable as the sampling rate is too slow (10 samples per second). But it does help to get an idea of the max RPM reached and amp draw. It will get a second life in the chassis dyno I'm building.

Martin Paradis

·
Registered
340 Posts
Why do we not have an onboard tach with push button display for rpm. With all the technology out there this shouldnt be a problem to come up with. And i have the eagle tree stuff but it is way to big. We need a small module with small display that plugs into the motor sensor harness to read rpm and works off of the reciever pack. Let it count each lap and max rpm for the lap. C'mon tech gods of rc, this should be a walk in the park
You could use one of the radios with telemetry (Airtronics MT-4 and I know Spektrum makes one) and you'd get pretty much what you want. The results would be displayed on the radio, but serves the same purpose.

Martin Paradis

·
Premium Member
1,227 Posts
When I used the Novak data logger, about all it told you was max and min rpm's. I found they didn't change a whole lot between laps. Lap times were more useful for tuning. My guess is the accuracy was too low to be a fine tuning tool.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts