Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started working on T08A2 / R3000 spider tank from Ghost In The Shell movie a year ago. For those who haven't seen the movie - I would highly recommend, it's one of the best sci-fi anime movies.

Scale 1:20 (roughly :))

One of the biggest problems that I had from the start was non existence of blue prints, or actually anything that would be close to that. That's why scale is approximate :) So for "blueprints" I ended up with a few things:

• Screenshots from the movie
  • Smaller resin model from ebay, which isn't proper quality :)
  • Someone made a 3D model, which I managed to aquire. It isn't very accurate, I would say it follows movie almost...

So yeah, none of these were precise. Actually, even frames from the movie sometimes contradict itself. To make matters worse I wanted to make a model which could move, so following sizes and strength of mechanical components had to be taken into consideration as well...

Initial idea was to make the shell from a styrofoam, but during last year I bought a 3D printer, which came very handy when making these complex shapes.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
That should look amazing once complete. I like the GITS designs as well. Pity most of the merchandise is a tad expensive. I do have the Jigabachi AV model though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That should look amazing once complete. I like the GITS designs as well. Pity most of the merchandise is a tad expensive. I do have the Jigabachi AV model though.
Oh yeah - Jigabachi is amazing too. I'm considering turning it into flying RC model as my next potential project :) But I need to get CNC machine that can work on styrofoam, because 3D printing won't do - it's way too heavy.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A little bit from inside the "brain" of the robot:

The robot has full model of itself (in order to do correct simulation) and it's calculating where to make steps in such way that legs do not collide.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little bit from work progress:

Model in 3D printing program:

Printed parts:

Here should be some screenshots of work with sanding paper and acetone, because that's a big part of 3D printing, but about that some other time :)

Assembly of electronics (2x servos, 1x laser):

Hiding of cables inside the ammunition belt:

Painting of base color and assembly:

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Holy Mackerel! This looks like the beginning of an awesome build...one that walks across the floor on its own no less! I liked Ghost In The Shell very much as well, glad to see someone doing a build from that anime. Will definitely be following this one!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Result:

"Suspension" of toes:

I hope to finish main body and the I'll be able to attach the legs. I hope that everything will work once cables are connected (fingers crossed :)) Otherwise I'll have to disassemble (read: break) and redo some parts :)) The original plan was to have ability to disassemble, but that was too complicated, so I skipped that part :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow! That is some impressive engineering. What will the size of this robot be when completed?

·
Registered
79 Posts
That is absolutely awesome! Your video of it walking around the floor is also very cool.

I'll have to remember you when I get around to building my custom designed bipedal reptilian mech with a tail. :) I could use your help robotizing it.

I love this kind of stuff! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts