Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The oval guys have been rocking for some time, so let's here it for the on-road guys.
1. Anyone and everyone that has ever used T.M. tires in on-road racing let us know what your experiences have been. Tony loves new ideas...

2. Tell us about your club/regional/national level racing experiences, how did you do, what do you think of the tires?

3. Everyone is welcome, even if they use other tires, let us know why (we can all play nice)?

Other T.M. On-Road Team Drivers such as James Arnold and Kevin Kane will be on to answer any questions, and the man himself (Tony M.) will also chime in so fire away.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I would like to run the 1/12 tires but he needs to increase the wheel size like CRC and BSR has done. This is important in 1/12. I think if he can get a few regional people to run his tires they will sell......I race at Ft. Wayne and Cincy 1/12 on-road

Steve Dunn

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do people think a slightly softer rear wheel would do and what color would be good to use if Tony makes bigger rims for both 12th and T.C.?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm running CRC's. Usually Magenta rear and Purple Front. Sometimes White rears and Magenta Fronts.I run stock so I don't think a softer rear will help. Mod is probably a different story.
I'm not sure if we can talk about tires as softer or harder anymore. Tire companies are putting different amounts of rubber in the tires than what they use too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
SteveDunn1 said:
I'm running CRC's. Usually Magenta rear and Purple Front. Sometimes White rears and Magenta Fronts.I run stock so I don't think a softer rear will help. Mod is probably a different story.
I'm not sure if we can talk about tires as softer or harder anymore. Tire companies are putting different amounts of rubber in the tires than what they use too.
i think dave was talking about the rim, not the tire. tm rims are some of the stiffest and strongest in the industry. i have never broken or cracked a wheel .i thank tony is going to make a bigger rim tire,tm,s current rim is already bigger than the standard jaco and the standard parma rim.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, you hit it on the head James(?). Tony may be looking towards creating a new "MAXED OUT" rim size like CRC and Parma are doing. Many racers are finding/saying that these new bigger rims act like a 2 stage wrap from Jaco, T.M.'s rims (wheels) as James pointed out were already bigger than standard but not as big as the IFMAR/ROAR rules allow. The thought on a slightly "softer" wheel is that it would flex a little more than Tony's standard wheels which are very stiff and this extra flexing should allow the rear tires (regardless of the compound) to grip a little more and make the car a little more balanced. What are some opinions on this?

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Ran TM purple fronts and gray rears all last winter (full size) without a problem with any chunking. One guy said he hated me for this when he kept running CRC pro cuts and chunking tires every week. It's not like I didn't hit my fair share of pipes and disks either so these are good tires. Surprisingly I never had a problem with chunking until the last few weeks when the tires got small? :confused: I'll definitly be getting another set for next winter though. Gotta check with Tony and see if I can just get donuts and put those used wheels back to work. Great product!

·
Registered
721 Posts
tm tires I have seem some things about them but I have never run them becouse around here no one sells them I would love to find a replacement for jacos on my 1/12th but around here thats all I can find

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks James, I've been suffering from a tooth ache since late Saturday night and I have to have emergency surgurey within the week.
Number0 - James is right as usual. Maybe Tony can put a Distribution Outlet List on his website, or better yet on this thread so that people can see where they can buy them at a place near them, of course if there isn't a place near them then they can simply buy them off of Tony's website.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
BTW, the new foam worked very well Saturday at Josh's track. 35 rears and 40 fronts or Magenta rears and 35 fronts of the new stuff worked nicely. The new stuff is smooth like exotic foam (White, Gray, Black, Blue) but the traction last throughout the run like the natural rubber compounds do(Pink, Magenta, Purple), and wear is close to the natural rubber compounds.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
For my 1/12th car I am running black fronts and half pink/magenta rears . sometimes just magenta rears .

Matt Bayless
T.M tires
Team Tekin
Team Ohp
Leading Edge
Bandit

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Matt have you tried a gray front tire? If so how did it work? Also, what have you found to be the difference between the 1/2 p/m rear tire and a full magenta or pink rear? Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What color rims do you guys think would appeal the most to the public (any and all comments are welcome)? Is white the new "hot/in" color for a wheel or is it something else that Tony should be considering?

·
Registered
38 Posts
darnold said:
What do people think a slightly softer rear wheel would do and what color would be good to use if Tony makes bigger rims for both 12th and T.C.?
You don't want to soften the wheels any, that would only make them flexable, and inconsistant. Like going from a 3.5 mm chassis to a 2.5 mm chassis.
As far as color goes, white works best. Over the years I've found that white is more durable, back and other colors for some reason make the "plastic" more brittle. As a matter of fact, the only T.M. wheels I've ever broken, where black.

Darryl

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
KE4- Thanks for the insights, I would also like to see a white wheel instead of the black or gray, do you think the wheel should have a different design "look" vs. the Mach 2? Would love to hear from anyone and everyone, anything that they think should be different, or any experiences (positive or negative) just let us know, Tony is reading I'm sure.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My favorite 12th scale wheel was the old TM wheels that the cap (Disk) snapped into.
I always thought that made the best looking cars.
I'd buy those again if they came with todays compounds.
That was before the Touring Car days.

Doorman :cool:

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
I kind of like the black wheels myself (for the "stealth" look) but wish the caps would work with them.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts