Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Howdee Tom:
The measurement I came up with from the few spares I have is. head diameter.125x shaft diameter .059-.062. OAL .082.
Hope you have better luck than I did. I'm in for 1000 pcs if we can get em boys
Clyde-0-Mite

·
Member of Da Band
2,493 Posts
I would be interested in some of those bad boys also! Count me in!

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Trying not to screw up

You guys are sending a boy to do a man's job but I will give it a shot. I'm looking for tubular copper (or brass?) rivets with the following specs:

Given this picture and Clyde's measurements:

B = head diameter.125
A = shaft diameter .059-.062
Length = OAL .082 ?
D = ?

Any idea on D? I don't have good calipers or I could measure the thickness of the chassis where the rivets go and subtract that from the length to make a guesstimate on D.

Found these - Grainger Item #1HBT9 -http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/tubular-and-semi-tubular-rivets/rivets/fasteners/ecatalog/N-8mmZ1z0nn0jZ1z0nmyn?op=search&sst=All the link does not seem to work right but I think grip range too thick. I'll go to a big supplier once I'm sure I've got the specs right.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Howddee Tom:
Actually your " D" measurement should include the head of the rivet and I measured "C" and came up with about .050 or shaft length minus head thickness. In other words the bore of the inner shaft extends the length of the shaft unto the head inner bottom.
Clyde-0-Mite

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Write very slowly..

Clyde,

So if I ask for

B = head diameter.125
A = shaft diameter .059-.062
Length = .082 or is length as showed in the picture .032 (.082 minus head of .050)
D = .050 or is D .032 (.082-.050)?

I'm guessing we can be a little off on the head length

Copper or Brass?

Is this correct? Just don't want to wind up with 10,000 wrong rivets

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Howdy Tom Overall Length is .082 this include head height. Or from the top of the rivet to the bottom is .082. the inner bore is whatever the length is minus the head height. Copper would be best but either or ?
Clyde-0-Mite

·
Registered
602 Posts
I've had some dealings with this type of thing.
The thickness of your total two materials is very important. The length is VERY important, as well as the 'D' dim.

I would try to get some in annealed copper, and talk to a pro regarding the app. They will know EXACTLY what you need. Remember, the plastic will compress a little so it's not a 1:1 deal.

BTW:
I'm in for some if you find what you need, say maybe 500?

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
Have you tried them?

tjetjunkman,

Great idea. I've been sidetracked and have not done any further investigation. Have you tried these by chance?

Tom

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Howdee:
I finally kicked over the right rock sort of! I did find rivets in the right size but they are Aluminum flat head types and a bit longer .125 vs.085. So yes they will work the price isn't too bad either. $3.00 per 100 or 1000 for $20.50. The number is 1-800-892-6917 Micro fasterners. We can all give a big thankx to Ford Cowboy for supplying this information. I hope this helps the folks who expressed interest in this idea.
Clyde-0-Mite
P.S. part number RVL-104C will get you a domed rivet in a slightly longer length (.250)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts