Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I think you can pretty much say I'm a total newbie at collecting cars. I've been buying toy cars for years, mainly replicas of the cars I owned. But for the past few months, I started to buy all kind of toy cars I liked, here in local stores as well as on the net. And I think I have been hit by what you may call the Bug, with a Capital B, since my "collection" has been growing and growing week after week since then. I collect mainly Greenlights, Johnny Lightnings and, of course, Hot Wheels.

Now, to my questions to all of you HW collectors.

I've read a lot of posts about the Treasure Hunt cars. Today, I found my very first ones, these 2 Nissan Skylines. Are they worth anything? I'm asking, not because I want to sell them to make profit, no, it's just plain curiosity. I'll probably keep one in the blister and maybe open the other one to put on a shelf or something.

Recently, I also bought a few of these Mystery Cars off the Net, because they're not selling them here in Canada. I suppose their value is higher if I leave them intact without opening them, right? Do some of you open them? Is there anything of interest to find inside? What kind of cars do Mattel put in them? Random cars or selected castings?

Well, sorry for such a long first post. And congratulations everyone for keeping alive such a fantastic board for real collectors. Also, thanks to all of those willing to give me their input about my questions.

I'll be looking forward your replies and your knowledge.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Welcome to the boards Major Nelson, how's Jeannie? :lol: Sorry couldn't resist.

As far as your TH's and their value, opinions will vary greatly. Most will agree that if you are collecting for your own enjoyment, then collect only what you like and their value is priceless.

What you may not be aware of is that this year Mattel has introduced the Super TH in addition to the regular TH, producing more of the regular and fewer of the Supers. The Super TH's will have rubber tires and different wheels and different paint. Also the Treasure Hunts wording on the card will have $ signs instead of S's. In your case, you have found the regular international card version with the "T-Hunt" wording. In the past int'l cards were less desireable than the US cards as you will see people asking for USMOMC only TH's. If you open your cars then this wouldn't matter.

As far as the Mystery Cars, someone else will have to talk about those because I am not buying them myself.

Again welcome, enjoy and learn, there are many knowledgeable collectors here on the Hobby Talk boards.

Clark

·
Registered
929 Posts
The Nissan hunts are currently bringing $3-$6 on the bay. They won't go up in price. The mystery cars are a mystery to me. I don't see what the appeal is. There are certain castings in them, but you don't know which ones you have unless you open. I won't buy them, I don't like the whole idea. But those that aren't ripped open on the pegs get snapped up for resale, so someone is buying :confused:
Welcome to this diecast madness :wave:

·
senile old cajun
1,276 Posts
first off WELCOME to the madness,like straightnnarrow said the super hunts are the more sought after ones,as for the myserty cars there isnt anything that i know of that is real hard to find or valuable in them except the volkswagon bug.i have a bunch of these hangin around cause i cant get rid of them,i opened them an resealed em but ther isnt anything special in them again welcome to the boards and collectin have fun and collect what ya want ttfn johnny

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. I'll most certainly benefit from all the very knowledgeable persons on the board. I already learned quite a few things.

It is my intention to collect what I like. It's too complicated to speculate on the value of these little toys. I believe it takes a good deal of the fun out of the hobby. But I understand that some people want to take advantage of their investment.

I'm into Muscle Cars in general, and Mustangs in particular. So that's what I'm usually looking for, but of course not exclusively.

As for the TH Skyline, it seems to be everywhere now that I've discovered one. I've never seen any other TH though, let alone a Super TH.

So thanks again guys. I'll definitely be back for more. :thumbsup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts