Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a used t-35 stealth,and the previous owner had soldered the small sensor wires into the battery charge wires.
Has anyone else done this and does it make any difference in the readings?

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
DK47 said:
Has anyone else done this and does it make any difference in the readings?
No I haven't done it.
And yes it makes a difference.

You'll find your discharge times very quick if you do not
use the small wires attached seperately.

Even if you didn't know exactly 'why',
you have to ask, if it didn't make a difference,
why are there two sets of leads, a small and a large?

IIRC,
The large wires are to handle the larger amp loads,
of charging and discharging,
the smaller wires are to read voltage..

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
You want the small wires put on the battery bars as close to the cell as you can and put the large ones on the end of the bars you solder your speed control wires go..

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
put the clips back on.. It will affect your peaking... It will affect your discharge as well.. You can get use to the numbers it reads, but if you want it to read closer to the others for comparing numbers, id put the clips back on..

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I think that in the older chargers it would affect the motor run. L:ike maybe it would back feed voltage to that circuit. I know people and have had, a Turbo 35's with the leads together and we've never had any problems. As for wrong readings when charging or discharging, don't you attach the little leads to the battery when you cycle, to get a more accurate reading? So, I don't think that it would make any difference to if they where attached in a non-cycling charge. But I could be wrong. lol

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I would think that when you are cycling a pack both leads are attached in the same place. Are they not?

This is what Competition Electronics says:

"The voltage sensing leads (small wires) are not dependent on length. You can make them any length you want. They need to be connected to something that is soldered directly to the battery. That is why we make them separate from the current wires (large wires). There is a voltage drop at the point where the current jumps from the battery terminal to the current clip. If you solder them to the current clips, or attach them to the current clips, the voltage is being measured after the drop occurs. A typical error would be about .30 volts with a 30 amp discharge rate. That means your 6 cell pack will cut off at 5.70 volts instead of 5.40."

I know that they are the makers of the unit, But, if you attach the small leads to the main clips then it would read incorrect. If there is a loss by connecting them to the main lead then there is a lose when you connect them to the battery bar. What ever that resistance is would be the same for type's of connections. So if you solder them both together, you still have but one contact point. equaling the same as connecting them separately. I hope that's clear. lol

They don't give any other reason so it must not hurt the unit. Hey, if it make you feel better, don't solder them together. ;) :lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts