Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Decided today to branch out and start checking out antique stores in the area, since so many of our members seem to have a lot of luck in those venues. Of course, wouldn't you know it, the one I went to was closed (and I didn't have enough gas to cruise looking for stores I haven't found yet). So I hit a DG and an IGA where I've had decent luck in the past. Drove past a cherry red 66 Corvette Stingray Convertible...(enough to make ya cry, I tell ya!).

But I stopped at a re-sale shop in town. Now this is not the same shop I was gushing about a month ago. I don't go there much because he doesn't ever have anything new (in fact, the box of really old MB's I was working my way through is gone now), and when he does have something I want, I get the same "that's priced wrong" story. Since he obviously doesn't want my business...

No, this shop, I've been in once or twice before. He has many things I want, including some vintage model kits. But I was short on cash. Sitting on the counter is a box of old Hot Wheels and Johny Lightnings. So I start digging through it, chatting with him. Turns out he just bought the shop about a week ago. He's still getting a feel for the process. Anyway, I pick out a handfull of cars, and we start to haggle. It was fun. Unfortunately, he couldn't come down to where I was for the whole pile, and I only had so much cash on hand. Here's what I came home with:

Another for my "weird" collection.

And a customised Hot Wheel:

Then I went to carterville to check into that antique shop. Since I had driven that far, I hit the other stores, like I said, and brought home a cluster of cloned corvettes:

Now you might wonder what I could possibly have in mind for all those Maisto 'vettes. Good question. Here's a preview:

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I don't usually have good luck at such establishments...the ones in my area tend to have destroyed 1980s/1990s cars with asking prices more appropriate for same in mint shape! You did pretty well, though, especially with the Mo' Scoot. I like that casting, too, and as a bonus, the handle-bars tip rearward for easy storage (and carrying?).

·
Banned
565 Posts
Decided today to branch out and start checking out antique stores in the area, since so many of our members seem to have a lot of luck in those venues. Of course, wouldn't you know it, the one I went to was closed (and I didn't have enough gas to cruise looking for stores I haven't found yet). So I hit a DG and an IGA where I've had decent luck in the past. Drove past a cherry red 66 Corvette Stingray Convertible...(enough to make ya cry, I tell ya!).
There are still IGA's around :eek:??? I haven't seen an IGA since the mid 90's. :lol:

Congrats on your haul... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
There are still a couple of IGA's around here. This IGA is where I found all three of my 59 chevy delivery T-hunts, including a Super.

Does anyone know anything about Hotheadz?

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
When I was at the resale shop yesterday, the new owner asked if I had anything to trade. At the time, I was sure I didn't. But earlier today I was looking around, and noticed one or two things that I have no use for, so I boxed them up and took them over.

So here is today's (modest) haul:

With today, I've pretty much cherry picked the coolest stuff from his box of cars (outside of NASCAR stuff, which doesn't interest me as much). Maybe the interest, however, will encourage him to finish putting out his stock.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
That Thing Got a HEMI?

....SWEEEEET!!! That series was exceptional, IMO. All 12 pieces have rubber tires. I have the entire set of regulars and all but the Daytona of the White Lightnings. Sure would like to find one so I can complete the set.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts