Hobbyist Forums banner

What to do with my Hollywood cars?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To open or not to open, that is the question....

Recently got all these off some auctions.
I know I must make the final decission, but what say all of you?
I have a feeling I'll get some good answers. :wave:

·
Registered
14,324 Posts
I open nearly everything, because as a kid at heart I just can't keep my hands to myself! And by "nearly" I mean every car to my name except around twenty that I've kept blistered for no particular reason.

But I'm glad there are other collectors who don't open, to keep all the old releases nice and safe for me! :lol:

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
I pretty much open everything.

But i would keep these in the bp.

The card artwork for these is really nice.Between that and the cars,it makes a nice set.

Mike

·
Registered
2,010 Posts
Being a cardboard collector you can guess how I voted. It's your call Dude. I have a room I completely Peg Boarded the walls so I hang most things plus I like the art work especially on the older JL's.

·
Registered
10,381 Posts
To be, or not to be that is the question

The way I look at it am not getting younger, and am still a kid at heart, so I say open them up!!!!! or like John would said...."Crack'em" all up who cares"...:lol:....In the future, when we are all six-feet under, the one whos going to want them are future are Collectors just like us!......I'll let my Godson worry about that I trained him early and still am before he gets my collections....:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the feedback and votes so far guys!

Still like to hear what other HTers have to say. :thumbsup:

I'm still on the fence with this one though...

Normally I'm one of those guys that collects two of everything - one to keep carded and one to open and enjoy. I appreciate both aspects of our hobby, so I find it hard to 'destroy' older packaged diecast. New stuff I can care less about, but every old card torn open means there's one less around for people to enjoy & appreciate. Like some have said, it's just as much about the art and packaging style of an era.

My dilema with these cars is that they aren't what I primarily collect. They're a whim that came up one day & I have jumped in the river without much thought! :tongue: It all started with me when I decided to collect only the cars from certain TV and films that I grew up watching. There were some Batmobiles, and then ECTO-1, and the BTTF Time Machine. Then I found out about more cars and was on a mission to get the Andy Griffith Show police car... from there it snowballed. All I really wanted was a bunch of loose cars, but I saw an auction for all 8 of the Hollywood cars and the price wasn't too crazy so I jumped on it. Same with the Munsters cars. Now I have them and I can't bring myself to open them. I'd readily trade for loose versions if I could, as I didn't buy these as an investment or to make a profit.

Man, why do I have to be so anal about my hobby?! :freak:

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Normally I'm one of those guys that collects two of everything - one to keep carded and one to open and enjoy. I appreciate both aspects of our hobby, so I find it hard to 'destroy' older packaged diecast. New stuff I can care less about, but every old card torn open means there's one less around for people to enjoy & appreciate. Like some have said, it's just as much about the art and packaging style of an era.

My dilema with these cars is that they aren't what I primarily collect. They're a whim that came up one day & I have jumped in the river without much thought! :tongue: It all started with me when I decided to collect only the cars from certain TV and films that I grew up watching. There were some Batmobiles, and then ECTO-1, and the BTTF Time Machine. Then I found out about more cars and was on a mission to get the Andy Griffith Show police car... from there it snowballed. All I really wanted was a bunch of loose cars, but I saw an auction for all 8 of the Hollywood cars and the price wasn't too crazy so I jumped on it. Same with the Munsters cars. Now I have them and I can't bring myself to open them. I'd readily trade for loose versions if I could, as I didn't buy these as an investment or to make a profit.

The Munster cars are a little harder to find than the other cars you have. The cards look nice on all of your cars. :thumbsup:

I also buy 2 each of HOW cars (one to open, and one to set free). I would wait until you found a loose HOW car or another carded one and pick the card that was in the worse condition and open it.

If the carded HOW cars that you have now aren't near mint, go ahead and open them. You should be able to find near mint carded HOW cars that you posted at a reasonable price again.

I don't know what you paid for them, but if you only paid about $5 each, there isn't much to think about (open or set free).

I didn't vote because I open and I collect cardboard with nice artwork. Buy a duplicate loose or duplicate to open would be my vote.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I'm not going to be much help. I have all of those cars. I opened my Munsters cars, but I like the "family photo" on the cards. My Blues Brothers and 2000 cars are still in package; my BTTF is open; I have an extra Dragnet, Mayberry, S&H and Monkeemobile so one of each is open; my extra Partridge Bus is a model kit still in package; :rolleyes:

My JL Dioramas remain in their cocoons; although I did open one of my "The Point" dios to display the BWF Chevy; I have a loose LTD from the Ghostbusters dio. I guess I'm just all over the place! :freak: It's all fun, though!!:hat:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
A Delema in a Big Way

I also buy 2 each of HOW cars (one to open, and one to set free).
At first I thought you said one to open and one to set on fire. Sounds kinda like my style! :D

Anyway, I really like Full Flapps's's! notion. When you cardboard collectors are ready to sell, it makes for a mighty purdy little car for the rest of us poor slobs to open! :devil:

But really, I'd have a heck of a time opening The Munster's cars cuzza the art work and photo is so freakin great and takes up the entire card as apposed to just a little trading card. The tradin' cards sorta give ya more incentive to open it in a way imo.

In short, I don't know what the heck I would do! :lol:

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
At first I thought you said one to open and one to set on fire. Sounds kinda like my style! :D

In short, I don't know what the heck I would do! :lol:

I'm guessing you would open all of them and make a Deathmobile (from Animal House) Dave.

I would love to see a 1:64 scale Deathmobile, and Lummox is the man for this custom.

Let's have a poll on Lummox making a Deathmobile. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I'm guessing you would open all of them and make a Deathmobile (from Animal House) Dave.

I would love to see a 1:64 scale Deathmobile, and Lummox is the man for this custom.

I second the motion!!! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts

Don't know if I'd have the heart to slice up one of those beautifull JL Stinkin' Lincolns, they are so nice!

I'll have to see what I can dig up, cuz I think I have only two of those castings. If I find that I have another one to sacrifice...but I'd kinda rather make a rusty, lowered, junk yard version instead

Guess I need two extree!

:wave:

·
Registered
60 Posts
A lot depends how you want to display them and view them. I open as soon as I can but if you must think about it you are not committed enough ,so save them in the wrapper.The thing about buying two is you are never going to get your money back when you cash in so now you just doubled your expences and needed display space.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts

I second that somebody want to start the poll.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts