Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just in the last couple years I have renewed my involvement in racing r/c after about a 6 year vacation from it. I have noticed the number of racers out there has dropped significantly.But the major companies say sales are at an all time high.That means there are a whole heap of bashers out there!!!Alot of these enthusiasts have never seen a real race being held.So if you know people out there who bash for fun,invite them to come and hang out and just see how much fun a well organized race event can be.It will give them a chance to meet some of the great people involved in this "sport" and see for themselves that club racing especiallly can be more fun than disney land!!!We need to cultivate the next generation of club racers so this simple weekly form of fun racing doesnt dissapear.And for us old geezers, we need to be more accepting of newbies and their growing abilities.I mean I have been racing for 20 yrs now and wouldnt expect a newb to run the same lines as I do.Alot of clubs and series races have no novice class, so that means if the inexperienced bashers want to try racing they have to line up with guys that have been doing it for a while. I know of a few people that this has been just too intimidating for.So even though they want to try racing they dont because they dont want to embarrass themselves.We as the old guys need to help establish the philosophy that every club, and series needs to have a novice class to encourage bashers and newbies to come race wih us and have fun!!! :wave:

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Now you are talking! We have an established, local club called 2Cool Racing Team with this very thing in mind and have totally embraced the basher and racer concept as well as encouraging bashers that they too can race, regardless of what the old timers say.

See what we have noticed in the past is that some times the old timers get so used to racing with their buddies that when a newbie shows up, they show them very little to no attention and that person ends up falling through the cracks and never gets hooked on the racing. Racing is more than the race itself - its the environment of knowing that when I show up, regardless of whether I know some one or not, they will be willing to help and enjoy helping, showing, teaching, and meeting me cause another racers has been added. It all translates into tracks surviving and staying open versus being choked out by lack luster growth.

Great concept and idea!

PD2:thumbsup:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts