Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clearly I was out of line to suggest that anyone boycott Johnnny Lightning products. I couldn't get one like minded person to agree with a single point I made. Nobody here has any misconceptions about die-cast cars and their value. It's all for fun anyway. However, if that is true, it makes it even more pathetic that collectors will fight one another over these things, run the store aisles to be first to the pegs, push and shove, argue, curse, lie to store employees about their competition in hopes that they can get more, use every underhanded trick to better their chances it get WHAT....these things you say are worthless. Doesn't seem like those people are that happy, or are having fun .

As far as me selling my collection and moving on to more important things, I'm happy to say I've been able to liquidate most of my JL WL's. Most of the locals in my area were more than willing to pony up $5 a piece for the whites. I kept about 20 of my favorites as a remembrance. And the peace is sweet. :wave:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,857 Posts
shaser said:
It's all for fun anyway. However, if that is true, it makes it even more pathetic that collectors will fight one another over these things, run the store aisles to be first to the pegs, push and shove, argue, curse, lie to store employees about their competition in hopes that they can get more, use every underhanded trick to better their chances it get WHAT....these things you say are worthless. Doesn't seem like those people are that happy, or are having fun .
See, that's where you're still a little wrong about the hobby. Those people you describe are absolutely NOT collectors in the sense that we are. Those are scalpers and hoarders, but they are not collectors.
 

·
FnF: Fords n Ferraris
Joined
·
7,828 Posts
Glad things worked out for you Shaser. There are quite a few collectors who are exactly like you describe. I have seen them in stores. I get the impression that most guys here are not like that. No need to be involved in a hobby that does not make you happy. Good luck in whatever you decide to collect next.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
PWSchuh said:
See, that's where you're still a little wrong about the hobby. Those people you describe are absolutely NOT collectors in the sense that we are. Those are scalpers and hoarders, but they are not collectors.
I have to disagree with you on that point. The people I know that do that are avid collectors. Their life is all about collecting and they don't sell anything. Never have. They have storage area rented to hold their precious collections, and you can't get them to sell a thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Atencio said:
Glad things worked out for you Shaser. There are quite a few collectors who are exactly like you describe. I have seen them in stores. I get the impression that most guys here are not like that. No need to be involved in a hobby that does not make you happy. Good luck in whatever you decide to collect next.
Thanks for the encouragement. I wish you well also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PWSchuh said:
See, that's where you're still a little wrong about the hobby. Those people you describe are absolutely NOT collectors in the sense that we are. Those are scalpers and hoarders, but they are not collectors.
I never have understood the angst directed at people that sell things for a profit. Scalpers? The world is full of scalpers then. I am quite confident that you too will be a scalper when it comes to selling your house.
Hoarders...let's see, that sounds like anybody who has more than they need. Hmmm, I think that covers about everybody!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,335 Posts
I can't believe we get all worked up over something that is supposed to be fun. :confused: No not supposed to be for me it is fun, but then I never never ever chase through toy store aisles to get JLs :rolleyes: It's much easier confiscating them from Brad when I visit the Burgh :wave:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
10,696 Posts
The Johnny Lightning collectors I have run into in my travels have all been friendly; never saw a single one run to the pegs, or push and shove. Never heard from anyone else here that they have, either. I've even seen guys point out "hot" releases that they already had, so that someone who is a true collector but doesn't know about the info on HT can add to their collections.

Guess I've been pretty lucky, then.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,787 Posts
carnut2256 said:
The Johnny Lightning collectors I have run into in my travels have all been friendly; never saw a single one run to the pegs, or push and shove. Never heard from anyone else here that they have, either. I've even seen guys point out "hot" releases that they already had, so that someone who is a true collector but doesn't know about the info on HT can add to their collection

NOW>>>HOTWHEEL COLLECTORS ARE usually...ANOTHER STORY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,857 Posts
shaser said:
I have to disagree with you on that point. The people I know that do that are avid collectors. Their life is all about collecting and they don't sell anything. Never have. They have storage area rented to hold their precious collections, and you can't get them to sell a thing.
Yep, classic traits of a hoarder.

shaser said:
I never have understood the angst directed at people that sell things for a profit. Scalpers? The world is full of scalpers then. I am quite confident that you too will be a scalper when it comes to selling your house.
Hoarders...let's see, that sounds like anybody who has more than they need. Hmmm, I think that covers about everybody!
Again, you are leaping to conclusions and have not quite got the concepts down. Scalpers are not people who sell for a profit. Those are capitalists. Scalpers are greedy speculators who buy everything they heard a rumor that they might be able to sell for more than they paid for it. They clean the pegs of these suspected treasures and leave nothing for the collectors. Likewise, hoarders are not everyone who has more than they need. That's most of the civilized world. Hoarders are similar to scalpers except they don't buy for immediate profit, they buy and hold for future value or because they have some sickness that won't allow them to let go. They might be considered a form of collector since they have a "collection" of sorts, but not in the sense of a true hobbiest like most of the people on this board.

YMMV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,518 Posts
As stated, most of the true collectors here, and out there, don't:
'rush the aisle'
'push kids out of the way'
'shove other collectors out of the way'
'tell everyone to get lost "these are my pegs'' '
'lie to emplyees'

Atleast none I have seen, (JL collectors im speaking of course, i've had a few brash run ins with the collectors from the 'other side' of the diecast pool) do any of this.

But to each of his/her opinion. Again it is a hobby, thats it. Everywhere you go you will run into the people that ruin it for the rest of us.

Wish you well on your next venture whatever it might be, but whatever you do, don't look at numerical value of whatever you buy, but personal value of why you bought it in the first place.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top