Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped by yard sale today while walking home.
this model was sitting in a box with other trashed models. I dug into the box and I found the one, the box saiys it's a TesTors in the scale of 1/48th. So far I've not done anything to is, hs anyone built one of these or if so any hints to wach out for ?

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
The S6B's a good looking racer. One of my favourite early aircraft.
I'm not sure about the Testors kit- I think it's a reissue of the old Lindberg kit but I might be wrong.
If it's the Lindberg, it's a little sparse on detail with nothing much in the cockpit. It still looks the part though.
I think the biggest deal is making sure the struts and floats are aligned but other than that it should be a straightforward build.
There's other guys here who really know their aircraft kits. Maybe they'll be able to give you better info.

Chris.:)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I open the model box and it seamed that all the parts was there. It has the top of the engine area, but I don't see any floats. there is a bunch of chrome parts . BTW there was no instruction sheet. so a lot of it will be hit/miss for the parts.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Chrome parts and no floats?
I think you might just have a box of parts there Starlord.
I go to a LOT of garage sales and flea markets looking for old kits. If the kits aren't still sealed in the plastic wrap I look in the boxes to see if it's basically all there. If it's not I put it back down. Sometimes it's hard to make sure a kits complete- especially if there's a lot of kits to go through.
I've been caught out before. I have quite a collection of kits that aren't all there I sell 'em as parts lots on eBay.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Quite often I will grab a kit under such circumstances, even if it is missing some parts. Especially the rarer kits, like the Revell Space Station, or the XS-01.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Too right Trek Ace!!:thumbsup:
Rare collectable kits in ANY condition are worth picking up.
Parts kits are cool if you can buy them cheaply enough.
I'm not really a parts collector (no room) but if they're rare there's always someone who can use them.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Hawk, yes. Have one now, maybe 15 parts total. I built it way back around '59-'60. The Spad 13 and Mr. Mulligan too. The pilots were generic castings way out of scale.....

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Its the crappy old Hawk kit from the late 1940s. The kit isn't rare so if you really want to build it, get one off eBay etc. I don't think its currently in production, but Testors has run these kits since the early 70s. Airfix and Frog also did kits of the S6B

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I'd love to see someone like Trumpeter put it out in big scale. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well only paid 50cents for it, when I got it, the box looked good, like it was only gotten a short time ago, I got it just as a sho in the dark, as the cost was cheap, it didn't worry me at all. So far I've glued the planes body together and now will have to figure out the rest of what I have. I'll try to take a photo of it with my canon A620 today I see if I might be able to upload it on monday.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The kid that was at the yard sale came today with some other parts, he know me from when I use to take my scope up Forster freeze, he had all kind of parts so he gave then to me. I looked in the box that had all the junk, but down in the base of the box what the instruction sheet. but no floats.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
That was a cool thing for him to do.:)
Sorry the floats weren't there though....

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
As an FYI the Supermarine S6B was the developmental predecessor of the Spitfire fighter. Much in the same way the DH 88 Comet racer led to the DH Mosquito fighter-bomber.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I've yet to see a model kit in any form at any of the yard sales I've been to. I guess it's just luck. Can anyone give me a rough percentage of the sales they've been to/sales with kits?

Not to be morbid, but I'm wondering if we're entering the period now where people who were teens/late teens in the sixties and seventies are going to leave behind kits in estate sales. I know of one member of my IPMS club who claimed to have 5,000 aircraft kits, and he's in his seventies.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
I do garage sales every Saturday. I'm an addict and I often supplement my disability pension by buying cheap at garage sales and selling on eBay.
Some of the stuff I've found was ridiculously cheap and sold at a ridiculously expensive price!! About this time last year I came across a sale with large scale car kits. I bought a Pocher Mercedes 540K (the Red one) missing the bodyshell but otherwise still sealed in its bags for $80 and sold it overnight for $400 (buy it now) and the guy I sold it to said he'd have paid double that if he'd had to!!
Years ago my son found original complete, unbuilt Renwal Visible Man and Woman kits for $4 each. They're on my shelf.
Other stuff: Monogram Golden T, Doyusha Outhouse, Revell Cherry Pie, and about half a dozen more for $15 the lot, original Airfix Beam Engine $10 (going to eBay this week), AMT Junkyard Dog complete and near mint $2, and a stack of others I can't recall.
That's just kits- I've bought and sold performance car parts (the Autometer Pro-Comp tach in my car cost $10!), books, pottery, Matchbox and Dinky cars, etc.
It's not everyone's thing as it means early mornings, a LOT of fuel, and some days not finding a thing, but I love garage sales!!

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
I may have to take vacation just so I can do some Saturday garage sale shopping...

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
No worries James- I'll go put the kettle on....

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Not to be morbid, but I'm wondering if we're entering the period now where people who were teens/late teens in the sixties and seventies are going to leave behind kits in estate sales. I know of one member of my IPMS club who claimed to have 5,000 aircraft kits, and he's in his seventies.
I've bought 2 collections from retired modellers.
The first was around 150 aircraft and ship kits for $500 and the second was a collection of 420 aircraft kits for $500. They were both really nice guys who had given up modelling and wanted their modelling rooms back (or maybe it was their wives who wanted the room.:p) and they were happy to let their kits go at such a cheap price.
A lot of the older guys let their kits go for a little less than what they paid for them when they were new.
There's definitely more gold in them thar hills - the trick is being able to find it....

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I do not have much luck at Garage sales except once in a great while I will find a car kit. never any airplanes.
Now if I was looking for X-Mas decorations or Pre-school toys I would be in heaven...

Max Bryant

1 - 20 of 25 Posts