Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard some guys talk about supergluing their foam tires on Carpet tracks..my question is WHAT ARE YOU SUPERGLUING? Are you laying a layer of superglue on the side wall to stiffen them?

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
they glue the outer wall.. this reduces side bite.. It helps alot when traction rolling or super high bite conditions exist..

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Burbs is right, if you smear a layer of super glue over the right side of the tire, it stiffens the side wall and does not let it roll like it normally would. It makes the tire feel a little harder than it really is.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
I would not glue the sidewalls simply to prevent chunking because you change the way the tire works. (above)

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
If the glue on the tire has worn out and the tire is pulling away from the wheel, I will superglue the tire back to the wheel. This isn't the same gluing the side wall. In spec foam tire classes, I've seen drivers super glue the side wall to give them a stiffer tire. This in affect makes a dual compound tire, similar to a plaid in touring. The reason this is necessary is because of high bite track or lack of tire choice. It also can help on a Legends car, since there is limited tuning on the front suspension. The downside to doing this that the glue will need to be reapplied as it wears out or is dissolved by traction compound.

It has been my experience that Paragon will slowly dissolve superglue if it is in direct contact with it.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I've done a lot of superglueing to both the rims and sidewalls. The best superglue to use on the sidewalls is flexable superglue, like Zap Flex-Zap II. This is much better than standard superglue. It strengthens the outer sidewall, yet remains soft and pliable. I apply it with my finger, working a small amount into the foam sidewalls by pressing down a little as I work it around. This glue is slower than traditional CA, so you can get away with doing that technique.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Have any of you used an old slot car trick, that being use a coat or 2 of clear nail polish. this you would have to give some dry time but I wonder if it would work as well,plus doing it at home would give you time to really think about how far you want to go with this method. Meaning 1/2 way up the sidewall or roll it over the top edge.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts