Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked this up at a local 'Antique' store but couldn't find any information on it online. Does anyone know any history on it, ie: actual scale, release date (copyright says 1972 but, of course, this particular one couldn't have come out much before or after 1977, I would think, considering its theme. Any other info you might have?

(the little lever towards the front opens and closes the center doors - I found one like it online but there was no lever,
the center doors were solid, and the front doors were either open or missing)

(the one I saw online I referred to earlier had a different base -
it had built in 'curves' in the base between the wheel wells apparently to accommodate space for the wheels)

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Going by other, comparable buses from Corgi I would say the scale is close to 1/64. And I think this has actually been released in 1977 for the occasion. I've seen another version of this for the 1981 royal wedding. The copyright is from 1972 but they did come out in different versions over the years.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Howdy Duncan,
Congrats on the fairly unique find.
These came out to "celebrate Lesneys 25th year in business" says my 1977 Matchbox Collectors Club Newsletter.
By "these" I mean 2 models. The set included this Super King, and a matching #17 Londoner bus from the 1-75 range.
When I was a kid in '77 I was a member of the MB Collectors Club. These were offered exclusively to members and not sold in any store.
For $6.75 you sent away for these from Rich's Hobby Town in Pine Brook New Jersey.
The newsletter explained how much the original '50s Coronation Coaches were worth even then and went on to speculate; "just imagine the value of these buses 25 years from now!" Well, almost 40 years later, these are not worth big bucks because every collector packed these away in mint shape, so they're not too hard to find.
I still have mine in mint shape in the original packaging.
Enjoy! :wave:

·
Registered
804 Posts
This bus is actually to commerate Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee (1952-1977). She was crowned Queen of England in 1952. It even has her Royal Standard (flag) and insignia on the bus EIIR. :)

"Matchbox" sized cars were first introduced in 1953.

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
This bus is actually to commerate Queen Elizabeth II's Silver Jubilee (1952-1977). She was crowned Queen of England in 1952. It even has her Royal Standard (flag) and insgnia on the bus EIIR. :)

"Matchbox" sized cars were first introduced in 1953.
You're right of course about '53 being the first year, I was quoting what the MB Newsletter said however, which I guess is incorrect!!!
StRaNgE!

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All interesting information, nonetheless. I figured it had to be commemorating the 25th anniversary of Queen Elizabeth's coronation given the decorations/insignias/etc, but knew nothing more. Can we even be sure what year it was released? Without knowing, who's to say it didn't come out a little early - say like 1976 - to get a head start on the celebration, or even later, to celebrate in retrospect?

There were actually two of them for sale. I grabbed the better one, although the other was still in pretty good shape - paint was still good, body was straight, lever still worked the doors, but the tampos had more wear, ie: along the joint between the two levels and the '77' in the number '1977' on the front was in pretty bad shape. I wonder if I should go ahead and grab it, too?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
That MB newsletter sure had a neat marketing trick to unload unsold over produced Queen´s silver Jubillee souvenirs.These didnt hit stores until some months into 1977.Nicely finished but not fetching any real money in the UK today altho the suggestion that it celebrates 25 years of Lesney diecasting will help shift them on ebay ;)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, considering the two Smiths started the Lesney Company in 1947 and even though the first Matchbox release wasn't until 1953, considering that it would have taken several months to have designed, molded, and produced that release, I'm not sure it would have been out of line to start the silver jubilee from 1952. JMO, though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts