Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
37,281 Posts
Even though the rear window is to small in comparision to the 1:1 the rear deck lid gap line and window countures are the only portion of the casting that reminds me of a C5.

If you visually remove the outline of the rear deck - it turns back into the C4 body shape for me.

·
Administrator
37,281 Posts
I found another casting number for a C5 as 9802000 but not a visual example of one yet. And I looked more closely at the hood and headlight detail on the one you have posted here above and it does match more closely to the design of a C5 over the C4 body. On the C4 there are no hood lines laterally on the top surface and the head light openings are more rectangular. As would the hood line across the nose be a straight squared line that carries down the side to the body mid line.

So from above this casting is closer match to a C5 for me again now, but from the front lower nose, sides and rear is still a C4 body shape to me. Especially with the circle shaped tail light details.

So I am leaning to call this one a C5 over the C4 now with the front and rear top details being greater in number than the lack of other front, side and rear details for the C4.

·
Administrator
37,281 Posts
Here is another loose yellow #9812000 and different graphics with a white interior. My notes indicate I picked it up in May 2016, but not from where. Most likely Dollar Tree though based on the packaging. Another casting detail that confirms the C5 body cues is the gas filler cap beside the drivers door.

Suntoys Greenbrier Die Cast Cars 3 Pack Chevrolet Corvette C5
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

Suntoys Greenbrier Chevrolette Corvette C5
by Milton Fox, on Flickr

Greenbrier Die Cast Cars 3 Pack
by Milton Fox, on Flickr
Greenbrier Die Cast Cars 3 Pack by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
found another casting number for a C5 as 9802000 but not a visual example of one yet. And I looked more closely at the hood and headlight detail on the one you have posted here above and it does match more closely to the design of a C5 over the C4 body. On the C4 there are no hood lines laterally on the top surface and the head light openings are more rectangular. As would the hood line across the nose be a straight squared line that carries down the side to the body mid line.

So from above this casting is closer match to a C5 for me again now, but from the front lower nose, sides and rear is still a C4 body shape to me. Especially with the circle shaped tail light details.

So I am leaning to call this one a C5 over the C4 now with the front and rear top details being greater in number than the lack of other front, side and rear details for the C4.
Good observations on those details. Honestly I don't think the sides of these cheap Suntoys castings do much to help us identify the models. They're pretty much devoid of any detail, presumably just to make casting them simpler and cheaper.

Nice documentation of the variations, too.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Even though the rear window is to small in comparision to the 1:1 the rear deck lid gap line and window countures are the only portion of the casting that reminds me of a C5.

If you visually remove the outline of the rear deck - it turns back into the C4 body shape for me.
how much is this car worth

·
Administrator
37,281 Posts
Either one of them is virtually worthless but I do see them listed on ebay for a $1 or $2 each plus shipping frequently - rarely do they appear in the sold listings though.

After the 5 year or so production run they do become a little more valuable but still rarely sell.

·
Super Moderator
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Most of these cars are completely passed over by collectors because they're so cheaply made and the details usually aren't very accurate. That keeps them very cheap on the secondary market as well, which is great if you want to get one but not so great if you want to sell one.

·
Administrator
37,281 Posts
Thinking of the value of these some more you get 3 castings for $1 - so each one costs roughly $0.33 commercially. When I find them under (and sometimes on) the vendor tables at shows they go for a range of prices sometimes 5 for $1.00, 3 for $1.00 , $0.50 or $1.00 each at most. Most of the vendors around here just call them toys and sometimes just give them to me especially if it's a Corvette if they know me.

Comparatively this is a better return on investment than most (if not all) fantasy HWs and most current loose MBs!

·
Super Moderator
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, that's true! Not a bad return on investment at all. Also, after a few years it can start getting pretty hard to find good examples since most parents and kids see them as disposable toys. So if you're someone who collects cars based on rarity they can be good in that way, too 😛

1 - 13 of 13 Posts