Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe COVID-induced cabin fever has gotten to me... but over the past couple months I've become fascinated by the cheap, crude, "Made in China" cars that even as a kid I scoffed at for their inferiority to my prized Hot Wheels and Matchbox cars. Besides researching and discovering who made the ones I still have from my childhood collection I've started picking up new ones as I see them (they're cheap! why not?). Dollar Tree sells a bunch right now that are made by Suntoys, a Hong Kong-based company with a factory in mainland China. I'll share them here over the next few days.

First up is a Mercedes CLK. The base says only "MADE IN CHINA" and 9811000, the model number. It's painted an interesting, almost Specraflame-like lime green. The tampos are just basic, random looking graphics.

·
Administrator
34,421 Posts
I also pick up those 3 packs on occasion as they sometimes have a casting that resembles the Corvette C4 casting in the mix. This particular one doesnt. But does have the same CLK in green. I picked this one up in 2019 at a Dollar General store. Greenbrier is the parent company for both Dollar General, Dollar Tree and Family Dollar now. Every year or two they do change up the color and tampo mix on them, but seem to stay with the same 4 to 5 castings.

2019 Greenbrier Diecasts
by Milton Fox, on Flickr
2019 Greenbrier Diecasts by Milton Fox, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, that's the exact pack this one came in. I was planning to post about the other two as well, haha. I also picked up this one with the Corvette (plus a Viper and a Honda NSX) at the same time:

·
Administrator
34,421 Posts
Go a head and start threads on the other loose ones as well then. I have had the NSX discussion with a couple of other guys as well. Look inside and you will notice it has 4 seats. IIRC we found a 1:1 concept of a proposed 4 door NSX on the innerwebz at one point.

·
Premium Member
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The NSX's interior is almost exactly the same as the orange Ford Sierra's. It's possible that they based this model on the 4-seater concept, but my guess is just that they recycled the design from the Sierra due to laziness/cheapness and just didn't care that it was out of place for a replica of the production NSX. The front seats of the Corvette and the CLK are also the same design, but neither of them have back seats.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts