Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp, now live and running until Thursday, September 23rd! Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
37,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Diecast Encyclopedia notes Sunnyside LTD was founded in Hong Kong by F L Suen. They first began manufacturing diecast in 1979. During the mid 1990s, they produced a series of 3.5 inch long Ford and Chevy pick up trucks for Megatoys distributed as "Mega Movers". These fit into the only "Made in China" base designations as a loose casting, but the production packaging carries the designation made by Sunnyside Ltd.

Sourced references -

Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006)
https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/hobbydb/subjects/sunnyside
Diecast Car - Lincoln - Sunshine Special - black - 1939

·
Administrator
37,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
After reviewing the Summer production history and casting lists. I believed that I had 3 (Summer) Sunshine castings in my collection. They are all marked as 1:32 scale castings They are of course all Corvettes.

@Motorcade pointed out that these are actually Superior products made under the brand name Sunnyside and not a Summer brand casting.

SS 5730 - 1969 Corvette Roadster 1:32 (red) (white)
SS 5750 - 1962 Corvette Roadster 1:32

In the Diecast Encyclopedia entries, Superior only carries a re-direct to Comet Metal Products.

Sourced references -

Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006)
https://www.hobbydb.com/marketplaces/hobbydb/subjects/sunnyside
Diecast Car - Lincoln - Sunshine Special - black - 1939

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
After reviewing the Summer production history and casting lists. I believe that I have 3 Summer Sunshine castings in my collection. These are all marked as 1:32 scale castings They are of course all Corvettes.

SS 5730 - 1969 Corvette Roadster 1:32 (red) (white)
SS 5750 - 1962 Corvette Roadster 1:32
SS numbers are used by a company called Superior/SunnySide ..Nothing to do with Summer. :wink2:
https://www.tradeeasy.com/supplier/20850/sunnyside.html

I know there's a lot of brightness around, with Summer, Suntoys & Sunnyside.!

·
Administrator
37,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
[in my best Bob Crane as 'Hogan' voice]Foiled by the SS again![/bob crane as hogan voice]

I was going to move the related posts to a new thread, but I wasnt able to find a current association between these castings and the names you posted.as Superior/SunnySide.

It is still most likely they are a new Superior brand name and/or SunnySide series association - that needs more WWW vetting to reflect current information resources.

But, I did create a new thread and I have updated the OP to reflect the Lucky Toys/Sunshine reference - ss were my current search efforts have landed me.

I was able though to create 4 new resource thread/links as Comet Metal Corperation, Quality Castings, Superior and Sunnyside as older diecast companies references that I have given you credit for initiating the additions.

Need a nap for now though! And thank goodness the video link was unavailable. I am sure Len is neither Country or Western. :cheers2:

·
Administrator
37,199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I reversed Sunnyside to be in front of Superior and found some better matches and one of the castings I have on hand. Are you okay with reversing the listing to be Suunyside Superior instead? :lurk05: I couldnt ever get any of the related HK links to load on my browser for them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts