Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I honestly never thought I'd finish this project but here she is - The NCC-2000 Excelsior.

Thanks to everyone for their tips, Don and DLM Parts for the beautiful decals (that I may have destroyed a few in the process of applying them..) and support. Sure some of the decals are crooked and my paint job was uneven but at the end of the day I'm happy with her. I plan on taking some more with less clutter but I wanted to show something now. ;)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Crsip and clean and no caffeine! Nice job on this build. Those DLM decals are great aren't they? I used them when I refinished my own Excelsior some years ago. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So nice & clean! You'd never knew it went through a subspace shockwave!:thumbsup:
Seriously, very pretty!
Ha thanks. I honestly screwed this one up so many times I lost track at how many re-gluing, chip fixing and paint touch-ups were done.

Crsip and clean and no caffeine! Nice job on this build. Those DLM decals are great aren't they? I used them when I refinished my own Excelsior some years ago. :thumbsup:
Again thanks. The DLM decals are really nice but man are they thin. I took his advice and brush coated them with decal film but several of them still tore apart just getting them off the paper backing or the paint chipped off the film. (You can see on the saucer I had to trim, evenly, around the two fins by the impulse crystals because I lost one side.)

Side question to anyone: I made the hole on the bottom of the ship too large for the post that I stole from my Reliant build. Is there a best way to add bulk to the post or fill the hole so the ship doesn't look like she's "going down"?

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
The only decals I see on her that might be off are the name and registry number on the top of the saucer. Also it looks like you forgot to add 2 of that saucer landing pads back near the neck.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Lovely job!! I really like what you have done!.

If you have some sizes of brass tube or plastic tube you can see if the right size will add to the diameter of your stand post..

Steve

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only decals I see on her that might be off are the name and registry number on the top of the saucer. Also it looks like you forgot to add 2 of that saucer landing pads back near the neck.
Yeah I ruined the new registry decals from the set (They wouldn't stay down with solvaset and peeled right off the next day) and I didn't realize until after I hosed it down that the pin stripes went on top of the bridge decals.

Now the landing pads you speak of do you have a reference for those? Just curious.

Lovely job!! I really like what you have done!.

If you have some sizes of brass tube or plastic tube you can see if the right size will add to the diameter of your stand post..

Steve
Thank you and I may try to swing by my local hobby shop after I measure the post/hole and see if there's a fit. My other thought was using part of the original base to create a lip that will keep her tilted upward more.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Great! This looks good enough to be in the movie, and on the front cover of any sci-fi magazine.

~ Chris​
Wow thanks you are too kind. Of course being the builder I know of every little imperfection, misplaced decal and paint mishap but hopefully one day I'll look past them. :tongue:

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
My LHS is big on RC, I got lucky and they were selling a grab bag of K&S tubing(all kinds odd sizes) Maybe you can ask or find something like that. You will always need odds and ends of brass when you start adding to your kits.

She is a pretty Starship!

Steve

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Wow thanks you are too kind. Of course being the builder I know of every little imperfection, misplaced decal and paint mishap but hopefully one day I'll look past them. :tongue:
If they aren't visible, then they aren't there! :p ;) I'll take it if you don't want it. :rolleyes:

~ Chris​

1 - 20 of 29 Posts