Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
29,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Subway Sandwich Shops has had various diecast promotional giveaways through 2006.

One of them was a 5 car give away with either a Porsche Turbo Racer (red), 1950's Corvette, Jaguar XKE, Chevrolet Stepside Pickup or Firebird provided with each meal. Each is believed to be the same casting from the then Tootsietoy "Hardbody" line up. Their bases though, carry only the Subway name, a copy right date of 1996 and JCI (sic) & DAI on the base.

In 1998, the giveaway item was a {Tootsietoys(?) "Stunt Racers" casting with the date of 1998 and JGI on the base.

In 2000, either one of two Matchbox castings (neither is identified specifically) were the promotional giveaways.

Attributed resources -

Encyclopedia of Small-Scale Diecast Motor Vehicle Manufacturers - Sahakangas, Foster & Weber (2006)

·
Registered
674 Posts
JGI *might* be Johnson Grossfield. I have a 63 Tbird in coral pink/red done as a promo for the Robin Williams version of the movie Flubber, I think that is the only model with their name actually spelled out on the base. I have seen, and now I'm stretching my brain, I don't recall where, but their name was on the packaging for a fast food kid's meal type toy car, but not on the car. I may well be mistaken, but that would be a curious coincidence.

·
Administrator
29,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My opinion is that it is more likely that the mistake is a typo in the Encyclopedia listings that needs revision with JCI being changed to JGI for the available 5 car give away. This should be easy to verify once base images for them are located here - as already posted; they are newly posted here; or found elsewhere on the WWW. IIRC only rolling viewpoint images have been already posted here and no base images. :cheers2:

·
Administrator
29,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A reference from around 2006, notes Tootsietoy, was then owned by J. Lloyd International, Inc. Could this be a JLI reference for the parent company of Tootsietoy instead of JCI or JGI as is noted above?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts