Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This car reminds me of the '72 Grand Prix SJ I had, the front end looks just like it.
I've had it done for a while with same sized wheels on front and back but it just didn't look right,
so I'm trying it out w/ bigger wheels on back. It had to be black...

This '67 was one of the first cars I did and has a custom interior down to the door panels:

I may or may not have shown this '69 Charger here, I did it about the same time I joined the forums:

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
Some good work there!
I dig that Stutz 'cause I really like the 1:1s....which were in fact based on a Gran Prix just like you mentioned.

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some good work there!
I dig that Stutz 'cause I really like the 1:1s....which were in fact based on a Gran Prix just like you mentioned.
Well, that was one fine car, probably the nicest I ever had all things considered. I think it was the last year they had the long body style and with that big 455, you really were stylin'. ;)

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
freak'n sweet Stutz dude!!!!!! does it roll?
Not as well as it did w/ small wheels on the back and front. :p I swapped them out this evening and glued the axles down so they'd stay put. That doesn't stop them from rolling, I just need a little more clearance in the rear wheelwell.

Thanks, everybody. I had seen somebody else do one in blue and when I saw this one grabbed it up for a custom. The Grand Prix I had was black so I did this one black too. I wish they would make a '72 Grand Prix custom but this is probably as close as I'll get to it. I've got a '70 Monte Carlo but that's not the same...

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
The Grand Prix I had was black so I did this one black too. I wish they would make a '72 Grand Prix custom but this is probably as close as I'll get to it. I've got a '70 Monte Carlo but that's not the same...
Yer in luck, Mister Man!
Johnny Lightning released a '70-'72 Grand Pricks several times!
You shouldn't have any trouble locating one for 2-4 dollars.
If you need help finding one lemme know. :wave:

Here's a linc for ya of all the GPs produced by JL.
http://www.jlcollector.com/391.html

·
Registered
158 Posts
Looking sweet Jit. Just curious...have you ever tried narrowing the base of the casting to bring the wheels in? Not saying you should I was going to try it.

I am amazed at how many cars you crank out! Did you do your own decals on the Chargers?
Now I should quit reading and get building!:woohoo:I get to play with toys!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Looking sweet Jit. Just curious...have you ever tried narrowing the base of the casting to bring the wheels in? Not saying you should I was going to try it.

I am amazed at how many cars you crank out! Did you do your own decals on the Chargers?
I originally had smaller wheels like on the front on both ends but it just didn't seem right. I knew it wasn't the car or the color so it had to be the wheels so I put larger ones on back last night. The wheels are right up against the chassis and they do stick out a little more but it adds to that musclecar look and seems to suit it better IMO. I did a lot of grinding on the Charger chassis and bodys to get those big slicks to fit though.

I've never used decals on any of my work, any that are on my cars were stock and didn't get painted over. I don't have a printer or credit card so so that limits what I can do. I concentrate on trying to get the most out of a can of paint and whatever details I can come up with. I'd like to do some paint detail, like numbers or flames, but am not artistic enough to see it.

I used to do at least a car a day, but was just starting out customizing and fully caught up in my obsession. I've done all my favorites, am more relaxed about it now and put a little more time and effort in my work. I bought around 10-12 cars for wheel donors at the start of this month and only have a few left now, but get paid again next week. :p

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yer in luck, Mister Man!
Johnny Lightning released a '70-'72 Grand Pricks several times!
You shouldn't have any trouble locating one for 2-4 dollars.
If you need help finding one lemme know. :wave:

Here's a linc for ya of all the GPs produced by JL.
http://www.jlcollector.com/391.html
Thanks a lot for the link. :) I had no idea they did that casting.

They pretty much have the look down w/ the exceptions of around the rear of the windows. Something there doesn't look quite right, but I'm going by memory from a car I owned almost 25 years ago. I haven't seen one in the stores here but will start paying more attention to JL cars. I don't care for the wheels that come on them so usually don't buy JL, but can fix that easy enough. ;)

·
Registered
19,875 Posts
No problem!

The last one they released was '06 or '07, so it's been a while, but there are a few diecast dealers that have old stock so it should be easy to find.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts