Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idiot. I haven't airbrushed in a long time and tonight I got everything all set up to put some testors acryl flat black on something I primed yesterday.

Got everything all ready. Got my thinner, my acrylic retarder, some cleaner, distilled water. I'm all set.

But it doesn't spray worth a damn. Little spits, water coming out, nothing coming out.

So I spray some distilled water thru my brush to clean it and start taking it apart and I REALIZE....I'VE BEEN USING ENAMEL PAINT.

What a mess. WHAT A MESS. Fortunately I had some laquer thinner under the sink and got my iwata HP-BS all taken apart and cleaned.

WHAT AN IDIOT. If there is a modeling mistake to be made, I've made it.

Now I've got that laquer crap all over my hands, didn't have my 'Darth Vader' mask on, have been breathing all that crud. Yuck.

Well, time to sand and prime and start again. WITH THE RIGHT PAINT THIS TIME.

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
...I've been there- done that- probably will do it again.....:drunk:

These things happen Jodet.....

Chris.:)

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
Now, now, now, don't feel so bad, we've all done stupid things. It's just that you've had more practice at it. :jest:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Add me to the club. I sprayed some enamel dull coat on a finished acrylic paint job and it turned it all hazy!! We all learn the hard way!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Add me to the club. I sprayed some enamel dull coat on a finished acrylic paint job and it turned it all hazy!! We all learn the hard way!
Knowing what works with what and then remembering to use the right stuff....it's a lot of work.

I used to have a system done, but I'm restarting at nearly square one.

I've done some kits with just PERFECT washes, enamel over acrylic. But I can't for the life of me remember what I used as a gloss coat. Duh.

And it helps to just not BE STUPID and use the WRONG FRAKKING PAINT.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
You are SO not the only one here to do something like that, man! Stop kicking yourself!

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Well come to the world of modeling my friend. But you still have one task left before you become a life long member.

START SPRAYING WITH THE PROTECTIVE CAP STILL OVER THE TIP!!!! Then you'll be a TRUE modeler. And I hope you've gotten the 'sliced open' thumb/fingers thing over with. Though that part is never ending! YOUCH...

hal9001-

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
Oh, man. Sorry to hear that! That's prolly the one thing I've never done that was just absolutely wrong. I've cut my fingers, broken parts while still on the sprue, broken parts trying to glue them together, had CA run down the outside of parts when the danged container decided to spurt out the glue instead of just a little squirt, glued clear parts w/CA (Crazing Suxx0r!1!!), etc...

At least you discovered it before you started spraying the paint on the model.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,277 Posts
Voice of experience: make sure you're not holding the spray can backwards when you puch the nozzle.

Glad I was wearing glasses at the time!

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
Well, time to sand and prime and start again. WITH THE RIGHT PAINT THIS TIME.
Actually enamels thinned with lacquer thinner are the right paints... you will get excellent results every time. You can use lacquer thinner to cut many acrylics also. Tamiya's gloppy paints spray beautifully with either Tamiya lacquer thinner (which is also plastic safe for paint stripping) or regular hardware store stuff.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I think I may take the stupid airbrush prize. Nothing to do with the actual painting part, but when I was younger I was painting the Gallilao from Trek. I used an empty bud can for pouring the unused paint into. Then I got to the silver, sprayed what I needed and dumped the rest into the can. The can had all kinds of colors around the drinking hole area and was not hard to distinguish from my actual drink. That is until I poured the testors silver enamel into it. Unbelievable how that paint matches the actual color of the aluminum can.
I think you can see where this is going...gulp, gulp, gulp down it went. Oddly enough after a few drinks prior I had not even noticed that I drank paint! It was the oily residue left on my lips that gave it away!
So when it comes to airbrushing and stupid I think I take the cake.

Hunch- Stupid paint drinker.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
"After a long, hard days work, I like to relax at home while painting models - and drink me some paint! Ain't nuthin' quite like the taste of paint goin' down. Lip smackin' good!" :freak:

·
Registered
51 Posts
My nightmare was using a super glue. I was putting together a 18" Enterprise and was gluing the shuttle bay clamshell hanger in place and had to use some hand pressure to compress the lower right and left hull halfs together and the shuttle hanger door shot out passed my head and the wet super glue hit me in the eye! I was all over the house. What saved me was my eyeball being moist cause the glued dried and did not stick. Scared me too death. Felt like sandpaper but was able to wash it out.

·
Registered
251 Posts
And yet, sometimes there are those happy airbrush mistakes. I've been an illustrator for over 15 years. One time, I cleaned the airbrush before starting on a new piece. Got everything ready, set up a black canvas, filled the brush with white paint and pressed the trigger. UNFORTUNATELY, I failed to put the entire brush together! I left off the very tiny spray nozzle, air shot back into the paint reservoir and exploded white paint all over me and the canvas! After several expletives, realizing what I did wrong and cleaning up everything, I looked at the canvas. It was the most perfect star field I'd ever painted, which worked out perfect, as I was doing a painting of the Phantom Cruiser from the 1960's "Space Ghost" for a commission. Worked out perfect, although I'll admit I've never painted a star field quite that way again.

·
Registered
3,460 Posts
Don't feel so bad about 4 years ago I used a can of light blue on my PL refit and then I sprayed her with a can of plasi-kote white, but it looks like a very light grey when dry which is why I used it, and thought it was acrilyc but instead it was laquer and the plastic started to crack as soon as the paint hit it and the label said acrilyc. Go figure.

·
Laird of Dunans Castle
3,902 Posts
My nightmare was using a super glue. I was putting together a 18" Enterprise and was gluing the shuttle bay clamshell hanger in place and had to use some hand pressure to compress the lower right and left hull halfs together and the shuttle hanger door shot out passed my head and the wet super glue hit me in the eye! I was all over the house. What saved me was my eyeball being moist cause the glued dried and did not stick. Scared me too death. Felt like sandpaper but was able to wash it out.
I had the superglue incident too, when I was working on Horizon's Green Goblin kit (HIGHLY recommend this one if you can find it! :thumbsup:)...although how the superglue shot BACKWARDS and OVER my glasses into my eye I'll never figure out...:freak:

·
Registered
51 Posts
How many of us get the model home, open the box and go over all the pieces, dryfit the pieces and look them over carefully then come back a couple of days later to start putting it together only to find a small part now missing. I swear it's little model Gnomes that sneak into our closets and mess with our kits!!!!! LOL

1 - 20 of 28 Posts