Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK Guys, here's my most recent embarrassing moment: while rebuilding the carb on a H70 in a TORO snowblower that's older than some of you, I ran the idle speed mixture screw in too tight and snapped the point off in the orifice...

I've been rebuilding stuff for years -- decades -- and never done this before. I don't want to have to pay $72.00 for a new carb to get this blower running again, but I also don't have any tricks up my sleeve for this one.

In my defense, the idle screw in the kit only screwed in about two turns, which strikes me as odd considering the generic starting point for adjustment is 1-1/2 turns.

Any help? Boy, is my face red...

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
There is a check ball on the low speed circuit of these carburetors, chances are the ball was stuck in the top part of the channel and the tip of the adjustment screw butted up against it. I don't know of anyway to fix one with the problem that you described, I am thinking replacement will be your best option. You can sometimes get lucky on ebay for a replacement carburetor for about 1/2 the price of an OEM, but that just depends on which specific carburetor your unit needs.

Good Luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After doing this I looked at the manual and it says quite clearly (if you look in the right place) not to insert idle mixture screw with carburetor inverted. Must've been what I did, although I have no recollection of doing it.

That would explain, however, the remakably short turn-in-to-seat distance on the idle screw -- you'd think Tecumseh would indicate this in the carb kit or make the note in the manual BOLD or something, eh? Guess they figure techs already know and non-techs will RTFMF...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts