Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Craftsman mower with a 6 h.p. Briggs&Stratton engine. The mower has set most of the summer and when I went to start it today it started on the first pull and then died. I tried starting it several times and had the same result. I took the carburetor apart and cleaned it and never saw any trash. I put it back on and it cranked the first pull and ran a few seconds and then it seemed to run out of fuel and died. I put a new fuel line on it, took the tank off and cleaned it and refilled it. When I started it then it ran for 2 or 3 minutes and then acted like it ran out of fuel again. I found out that I can take the fuel line loose at the carb and immediately put it back on and it will crank and run briefly and then it slowly dies again. I also gave it a shot of carburetor cleaner in the air filter and it cranked and ran for 5 minutes and then died again. I have loosened the gas cap while it is running but it does not help. Anyone who has advice about what this could be, will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
Take the nut that holds the float bowl on off and check it. This is the main jet and it's probably clogged or dirty and needs to be cleaned up a little. From your description, it sounds as if your not getting enough fuel through the carburetor to the engine. If cleaning the bowl nut does not take care of your problem, you may need to replace the float needle and seat.

Best of Luck...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts