Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
That model was originally built by Magicam at (if I remember correctly) a cost of about $250,000. I have notes on most of that, but I haven't consulted them lately.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nova Designs said:
Actually it was $800,000, not 250. The most expensive studio miniature of its time, for a long time.
So...now that physical models are pretty much done, what was THE most expensive model ever?

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
well they did build a Titanic that was something like 90 feet long for the sinking/breaking apart scene... but I don't know how expensive it was. I used to live in Venice Beach and they had the broken Titanic sitting behind a chain link fence about 3 blocks from my loft. It was pretty darned cool and I still kick myself for never getting any pics of it sitting there.

·
Registered
923 Posts
phicks said:
So...now that physical models are pretty much done, what was THE most expensive model ever?
Computer generated models and miniatures aren't a one size fits all solution yet. There are many things that are still easier (and less expensive) to build by hand as miniatures than to create in a computer.

A perfect example of this is King Kong. The Venture in that movie was represented in effects shots by a 14 foot long miniature. Similarly, almost all of Skull Island was built and filmed as a miniature. These elements may have been combined with digital effects and characters, but for the task it was better to build a miniature by hand than to use a computer generated version.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts