Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On www.colosseumbuilders.com/enterprise I have posted a 1:192 scale plan for the Enterprise saucer top. I have tried to incorporate every detail -- less paint and markings (though some are indicated) -- that is visible on the model. It is in a 12 page PDF that has to be taped together to make a 29" diameter plan.

I used a number of sources to put this together (e.g. blueprints, the 1:350 model, books, reference photos). I found that none (other than reference photos) were very accurate. I don't think any piece ended up being close to copied from any other source.

The colors are for my own reference to distinquish the different parts. I have also compromised by making measurements conform to 1/32" increments.

Hopefully, I can get the rest of the ship done.

j.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Jim, sorry for missing this thread. That is one LARGE saucer. Looks fantastic.

R

·
0 Posts
VERY nice work there, and taped together it does look good.

And i did hit the ole abacus, the whole thing roughly works out the following...

DOA 29"
LOA 61"
HOA 15.5"

Hmmmm....

Please keep us appraised of the progress Mr Slade, i'm for one am very interested in seeing the rest of the plans if you feel inclined to do them and thanks for sharing this.

Go easy.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
New Files Available

I accidentally printed one out myself for the first time. (print to printer rather than print to acrobat). I too was shocked at how big it was. I tried to do it at the standard scale of 1:192.

I have uploaded a bottom saucer as well as an updated top to the web site in the original post.

My intention is to do these as builder's plans rather than display plans.

Let me just point out a few of the discrepancies I have found. The official blueprints are not accurate at all. FOr example, the under bridge windows in the wrong place

In re the kit:

The impuse engine structure should be flaired.

The impulse engine should be flat rather than bending up with the hull.

(Cannot be seen in the plan in this view) The ridge at the forward end of the impluse structure should be higher than the "main deck" of this structure with ramps leading up on either side. What is shown as recessed should be at the main deck level.

On the bridge the lip over the three lights should be wider.

j.

R

·
0 Posts
Excellent.
I do belive some tape and printing is in order after i get home from that place called...work :freak:

Nicely done sir !
Doing the deed as builders plans is a rather good idea for anyone planning to do such a task, If not then they do make impressive posters :)

Many thanks for this.

Go easy

·
Registered
113 Posts
Would it be possible for you to do an untiled PDF file? I have access to a large printer through work, so I would rather print it full size.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
James Henderson said:
Would it be possible for you to do an untiled PDF file? I have access to a large printer through work, so I would rather print it full size.
I'm going to have to figure out how to do this. I could not get illustrator to do a page size greater than 24"

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Has anyone detected any issues with these plans? I have come across some sources that dispute some of the details I came up with. Here are some of them:

- Location of the rings.
- How far aft the impulse engine extends
- One source has the circular part of bridge superstructure's base forward rather than centered.
- Placement of hatches
- Size of the structure on the bottom of the saucer.
- Placement of the superstructure windows.

I have tried to capture every detail visible on the model.

Keep in mind that in making these plans I compromised by limiting element sizes increments of 1/32" in 1:192 and would continue that policy because otherwise nothing could be built from them.

I have used a number of different sources then gone to the reference photos to try to resolve discrepancies. I have found no source that is 90% correct so far. Some of the glaring errors I have found include:
- The impulse crystal not lining up with with the windowless area of the neck.
- Wrong number of retangles on the spine of the impulse engine.

I have started to move on to other areas of the ship.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
James Henderson said:
I bet you thought I forgot about you. This has been nagging me ever since you posted it. A new version of software pointed me in the right direction.

An untiled one is now at:

http://www.colosseumbuilders.com/enterprise/

R

·
0 Posts
bigjimslade said:
*Serious Snippage*
I have started to move on to other areas of the ship.
I'll be looking forward to seeing what you do with these plans Mr Slade.
Not wishing to place more on your shoulders but will you consider issuing them when all done in untiled versions?

Thanks for sharing these !

Go easy

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Chuck_P.R. said:
Those look great! :thumbsup:

Have you checked them against the PL 350th kit?

Side view please?
That was one of the sources. However, there are obvious errors on it as well. Notice, for example, that the forward "tongue" on the impulse engine is all wrong in the vertical.

Not to mention that at this scale there are details that are not present at all on the PL kit.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Raytheon said:
Not wishing to place more on your shoulders but will you consider issuing them when all done in untiled versions?
Absolutely. The only other one I have "done" is the bottom of the saucer. However, I am looking at what is done so far to verify correctness.

I'm surprised no one has pointed out any flaws so far. :) I'm sure they have to be their.

One other thing to throw out at you folks is that I have marked what I think are the flat areas on the model. It appears to me that the saucer is flat on top at the outer edge (looks to me that the center of the impulse crystsal marks the end of the flat area) rather than a continuous curve. I'm curious what others think about that.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
So will you have a side view anytime soon?

That may also help you and/or help us help you find any inconsistencies.

(P.S. Not that we wouldn't also like to see a rear and front view too, but a side view would be key at finding issues.)

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Chuck_P.R. said:
So will you have a side view anytime soon?

That may also help you and/or help us help you find any inconsistencies.

(P.S. Not that we wouldn't also like to see a rear and front view too, but a side view would be key at finding issues.)
Working on it but maybe not soon. You are corect that it would help find problems. One common problem on many plans is that the impulse crystal does not line up with the windowless area on the neck.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
bigjimslade said:
Working on it but maybe not soon. You are corect that it would help find problems. One common problem on many plans is that the impulse crystal does not line up with the windowless area on the neck.

I have been able to piece together from a couple of publicly posted snips of Gary Kerr's cad drawings a side view that I believe accurately shows several key points - but not every one of them - along the side view of the Saucer.

I believe when combined with the research you have obviously already done you could finish an accurate side view in very short order.

Shoot me an email(I've already sent you one as well as a PM on another issue) and I will send the file along to you.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts