Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;
I was spraying some MM acrylic, and in one spot I hit it a little too heavy and caused it to run. Well now it has dried like that. How do I strip it down to primer so I can clear up and re-spray that area?
Thanks!
~Sam

·
Registered
311 Posts
Dried, cured Acryl may come off with Windex, but not easily. Denatured alcohol will take it right off in two or three wipes. If your primer is Mr. Surfacer or similar, the denatured alcohol will take that off too, eventually - so be careful.

Frank

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Simple Green for a few days, how ever no matter what you use to strip it there's always the chance it will also remove any primer.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
regular old rubbing alcohol for like 99 cents at the drug store.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Unless you want to re-prime and re-paint the whole thing, don't strip the paint. That will only cause you a whole lot of work, if not a disaster. Wait until the run has completely, thoroughly cured and then sand it away with a sanding stick, not sandpaper. You want to remove the run only, so use something flat and easily controlled. Finish sanding the run and the surrounding area with 400, 600 sandpapers and then re-spray.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless you want to re-prime and re-paint the whole thing, don't strip the paint. That will only cause you a whole lot of work, if not a disaster. Wait until the run has completely, thoroughly cured and then sand it away with a sanding stick, not sandpaper. You want to remove the run only, so use something flat and easily controlled. Finish sanding the run and the surrounding area with 400, 600 sandpapers and then re-spray.
You can sand acrylics? I think I had tried that once but never had any luck....I thought it cured too hard.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts