Hobbyist Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is an easy way to dechrome plastic? Surely there has to be a better and less destructive way than sanding it off...

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Many folks here and on the slot board use the Easy Off oven cleaner in the blue spray can. Put the object in a baggy, spray it, and seal it.
I have used automotive degreaser liquid to strip paint off of plastic model cars with no problems, it just takes a day or two depending on how thick the coating is.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another question along the same lines.. what about a resin model instead of standard plastic, What do you use to strip the paint on them?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
try just plain old, cheap ammonia.
I have been building models for decades, and thats all I use when I want to strip off chrome plating.
styrene or resin, it works quick.
best advice, test compatibility on a sprue tree first.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I go to the auto parts store and get a jug of concentrated purple cleaner / degreaser. Pour some in an old tupperware container with the part and let it soak for a couple of days. It removes the chrome and the clear carrier under the chrome as well.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
I always use original easy off in the yellow can to strip chrome from plastic, it works quick too without damaging the plastic.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I've used Easy Off Oven Cleaner but I sure hate breathing that stuff.
It's messy to work with also.

Like Homeboy advises, Go to AutoZone and get some Purple Power degreaser.
It's the best stuff I've found for taking paint or chrome off plastic parts.

--CadillacPat the UnCustomizer--

www.CustomOutlaws.Com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts