Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. Got the Revell 1:18 Audi TT apart. Only broke one part and it is fixable. Now, is it recommended that you strip the old paint before repainting? I would use brake fluid. Will that work? Also. the rear hatch is clear styrene so it will have to be stripped as the current color shows through on the inside. Has anyone stripped such a part and what do you recommend if not brake fluid?

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
The largest die-cast I've ever worked on is 1/43 so I may have a totally different attitude towards a 1/18. But I'd probably break it down and strip the whole thing using Kleen-Strip Aircraft Remover. You can get it at about any auto store or "Wally's" if you got one of those. Prep the bare metal with soap & water then rinse well with water. Prime it with Krylon Gray Enamel Primer after making sure its dust free. I then bake the primer at 400 degrees F for about 1 min. Cool then fine sand. Clean it again. Then shoot the color with enamel. Then repeat the baking process. Be careful when baking as all ovens are different. The idea behind the baking is two fold. It first causes the paint to flow and settle better. Downside to this is ANY flaw will show up. Second it hardens the enamel when it dries.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Oh! forgot about the plastic thing. COX Model Airplane fuel. At least it removes Testors Enamel without krazing the plastic. Used to use it on plastic models all the time. Even windshields. Be sure your plastic is styrene. some of this soft stuff they are using now will kraze, scratch and distort at a hot breath.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts