Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought some Tango Papa decals, and have bought a couple of other small company decals, and I find them to be extremely thin and difficult to work with. I am pretty good at applying decals but these are so thin they fold over on themselves very easily, break apart, and are simply a big pain to apply. I just bought TP's AMT Man in Space set and they arrived today. I attempted to put the Gemini service module decal on and managed to destroy it. Fortunately he gives two copies of each decal so I have a second chance. I have sprayed decals with clear paint before and was wondering it his would work to strengthen them before trying again. I am also open to any suggestions so I don't completely screw up. There's a whole bunch more to apply too so I am hoping something will work to make this easier.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I suggest Microscale liquid decal film. Brush on a couple of coats and it should make the thin decals more managable:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
rkoenn, I too have the AMT Man In Space kit and have been thinking of getting the Papa Tango decals as well. Hopefully you will post some pics when finished, I'd really like to see this kit built with those decals!

Please?

HAL9001-

·
Premium Member
4,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
rkoenn, I too have the AMT Man In Space kit and have been thinking of getting the Papa Tango decals as well. Hopefully you will post some pics when finished, I'd really like to see this kit built with those decals!

Please?

HAL9001-
I also had a set of these at the link below and they were good also but not as thorough as in fewer decals. However they are very thin too and I screwed up one of them that the kit decals replaced on the Mercury Redstone. I am building the AMT set and adding a Lindberg shuttle to it as well. I've seen two or three of these done up and there was an article in IPMS journal 2-3 years ago I am using during my build. The TP set include more decals then the Indy decal set so that is why I ended up buying them as well. They probably use the same decal paper so the decals are extremely thin and very fragile.

http://www.indycals.net/decals/spaceexploration/maninspace.html

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
In fact, I just got some of the Indicals. I just wasn't sure I wanted to pay the price for the Papa Tango ones. Actually, I had forgotten about these until you brought it up!

HAL9001-

1 - 9 of 9 Posts