Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to start a general discussion here on collecting and the focus thereof. I got back into it last year around March or so and basically started with Matchbox due to the childhood connection and therefore my brand loyalty. I bought a few old ones I used to have but a lot of new ones. That soon went dry after about 200 or so. Then I found a few Hot Wheels that were of Matchbox quality at the time. I learned about chase cars, TH, Garage, now there's Boulevard... I dipped my toes into the big sea, got some 1/18 Sun Star, Auto Art, a little Motormax and a few vintage Matchbox regular wheels. I have thoroughly enjoyed the educating process so far just as much as looking at the models. And of course my shelves are filled with Siku and more Siku.

Now here is my point. I think I've hit a brick wall and I think some of you might have been there before. I'm bored with current 1/64, if it is Hot Wheels, Matchbox, Maisto or Realtoy. I'm still very happy with Siku. And I have observed the whole chase car madness on these boards and in the local shops as well as online. And so far, whatever the scale, most of my collection is made up of muscle cars and American classics. Of course, if that's what you like, all power to you, this hobby is about fun. But I think I'm at a point where I'm looking for more, away from quantity and more towards quality.

I have already started the process by "upgrading". Do I need 5 versions of one casting or do I need just the best version? In Hot Wheels terms, that means if I can get a Garage or Boulevard, I will not ever go and buy it again as a mainline.
There is enough out there which is "limited" way below the numbers of a Treasure Hunt. And there are those cars which have a personal story attached to them.

I'm opening this thread for those of us who would like to share their experiences and advice and of course the fun of "weeding out" your collection. As someone on here recently posted, there is a difference between buying everything you see and actually collecting. I'll be happy to read your replies.

PS: my current collecting focus is vintage die cast (Matchbox, Fun Ho) and Siku.

·
Registered
910 Posts
well mate i think u pretty much covered it yourself it all comes down to what you like.. ive hit that wall a few times well when u hit a wall u just gotta do a u turn and keep goin.. i started with just 1:64 now everything from 1:18-1:24-1:43 etc etc and it all comes down to i buy what i like.. also it depends on storage space i have alot of space so it dosent concern me but i know alot of people are held back by that. man sorry to rave on but it all comes down what you already said buy what you love and dont be afraid to look in places others wont..:wave:

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well mate i think u pretty much covered it yourself it all comes down to what you like.. ive hit that wall a few times well when u hit a wall u just gotta do a u turn and keep goin.. i started with just 1:64 now everything from 1:18-1:24-1:43 etc etc and it all comes down to i buy what i like.. also it depends on storage space i have alot of space so it dosent concern me but i know alot of people are held back by that. man sorry to rave on but it all comes down what you already said buy what you love and dont be afraid to look in places others wont..:wave:
You're right...except "buy what you love" is a little more discerning, I've decided. Do you know what I mean, like when you stand next to a Hot Wheels bin or a Matchbox display and think "yup, cheap enough, so I'll have this and this and this". Give it 6 months and suddenly you look at 80 cars and dont know how you got there. Hahaha. Or maybe that's just me.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
Or maybe that's just me.
Nope. It happens to us all. That's why I've stopped telling everyone that I'm not collecting Hot Wheels anymore. Its a lofty aspiration, but I'm not actually working all that hard towards it. (Gotta have those hidden supers dontcha know?)

Theoretically, I've been wanting to focus on larger scale cars, but HW and MB are so cheap it's hard to get to the point where I can buy something I find that I really want, because I've blown my budget! (And yes, before anyone jumps me over that last statement, I DO want the ones I pick up. If I didn't, I wouldn't. They just aren't what I intend to collect.)

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
All of you are describing my experience exactly! I'm trying to keep my focus on M2s and some Johnny Lightning, mostly the older ones of a few years back that were so good for their time. But I have everything from 1:18 - 1:87.

But along the way, I suddenly found I had all these Hot Wheels, etc., that I had had no intention of collecting. I feel I should weed them out, but since I bought what I like, I am finding I'm having a hard time doing the weeding, even with such simple cheap things as HW mainlines. It is a quandary!

·
340 with 727 Tourqeflight
2,928 Posts
I think most die cast collectors start with quantity, i.e., buying all the HW and Matchbox they see and like. Eventually, space concerns lead to a shift toward quality. And then, at least in my case, further space concerns lead to a shift toward quality plus value. For me right now, I'll only buy a new HW if it is a $uper I find on the pegs or a metal/metal with rubber tires that is on clearance.

My collecting focus right now is Playart muscle cars. I have multiple Challengers, one '69 Mustang, and one Barracuda Formula S. Still looking for the right deal on a Camaro, Javelin SST, and especially an AMX. They come up for sale rarely enough and go for more than I'm willing to spend often enough that I don't think I'll be bored in my search any time soon.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I only collect 1/64 scale & I try to get the best Quality versions available.

Brands Like Kyosho,Autoart,Biante,Hw100%,JL,M2,Greenlight,Revell,aoshima,CMs,Tomica Ltd Vintage,Konami etc

I am allways upgrading , I have very few HW mainlines in my collection if any,

I prefer quality over quantity any day, However sometimes its hard to choose

EG Porsche Carrera GT , The Hot Wheels version is very nice however I do not have it, due to the fact that the Kyosho & Autoart are much nicer

The Kyosho & Autoart versions are much more detailed ,Rubber Tyres, Side view mirrors etc, (I have at least 2 colors of each) I like the Autoart a little bit better but the Kyosho has its good points also

Kyosho

Autoart

I have at least 3 different brands of R34 Nissan Skylines in many colors, all are 1/64 scale

Kyosho (No openning parts but awesome detail)
Tamiya (Openning doors Same quality as Kyosho)
Targa (Openning Hood but a little less Detail)

Which ones to keep?

I used to have over 1000 regular hot wheels , Now I only have some redlines (I have been thinning them out over the years) a few Ltds , but I have most of the 100% line cars sets etc

My Motto is collect what you like

My only problem is if I like the car, I will collect all the colors etc of it that I can
This photo of my Mustangs (I have more now) might give you an idea
I sold all the Older matchbox versions in the Pics because The Greenlight & Hw 100% versions of the same model 66 mustang fastback are better quality/more detailed (IMO)

Greg (Carsdownunder)

·
Registered
4,561 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your replies and Greg for the photos. I agree with "collect what you like" but it looks like a lot of us eventually move towards higher quality.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts