Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellas, I was on the Round 2 website today,and read that the upcoming "Interplanetary UFO Mystery Ship" would be the first in a series of "Strategic Space Command" ships. Does anybody know anything else about what kinds of designs they are considering? More Matt Jeffries(sp) perhaps??? I'm kinda' excited about this.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Moon,

The "Strategic Space Command" was created by AMT for their Leif Erickson space ship model, which was the original iteration of what has become known as the "Interplanetary UFO Mystery Ship". AMT apparently had other designs in mind, but none appeared as a kit. However, with our good buddy/savior Tom Lowe at the helm of Round 2, anything is possible.

Winchell Chung has compiled just about everything you'd care to know about the Leif Erickson. Here's a link to his web site: http://www.projectrho.com/leifstub.html.

Enjoy!

Mark McG.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
I want to see the Leif Erickson reissued in its original form (in grey plastic) with the clear red engine parts.
And the chrome sprue. And the decals (including that silly Viking helmet logo).

Since the audio file is available online, we don't need the paper record "Sounds of Outer Space" -- if anyone still has a record player to play it on. The bad poetry is a hoot!

·
Premium Member
6,010 Posts
Deej and scot,

The good news is, Federation Models has resin copies of the Leif Erickson engines: http://www.federationmodels.com/products/federation_models/default.htm.
The bad news is, they're tan resin.

I agree that the Viking helmet logo looked silly. Prior to hearing about Round 2's reissue, I made up a logo to print as a decal for the SSC John Glenn, which was mentioned in the back story that AMT included with the original kit. I can email it if you're interested, as the link from Winchell Chung's site doesn't seem to be working at present.

Mark McG.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I never knew there was a version before the glow - And here I thought I knew something about models :freak:

Thanks for the link, McG! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,132 Posts
When I was growing up in the early 70s, and into building models, my best friend's older brother was into kits. He had the original AMT Star Trek enterprise with lights, and also the Leif Ericcson. So I remember his old kits and what he did to try to fix them up in the 70s and 80s... I had the Glow UFO Mystery Ship, but always wanted the origional LE kit. I remember also seeing the print ads for the kit in very early issues of Scale Modeller magazine (NOT Fine Scale Modeller!).

Now that I think of it, the guy also had the original lavender colored Aurora Godzilla, the Monster Scenes Pendulum, 2001 Orion, and the MPC Gigantics Tarantula and Scorpion.

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
I only had the Glow-in-the-Dark one, and I still have the shuttle. I since bought two resin ones and two resin shuttles, but really want this one again. Sure the Leif Erickson would be better, but, we get what we can.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Or, you can be patient while some crafty GK'er finishes the production molds for the translucent red parts.

Would you guys be satisfied with plain resin parts in place of the chromed parts ?
Easy enough to paint with one of the chrome paints on the market these days.

Oh yea...Griff....thanks for the nod towards the Christopher Columbus ( re-stocking soon at SSM )
I 'preciate the gesture ;-)
Get a chance to work on your's yet ?

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Mr. McG for the info and that site is terrific,I had seen it before,but that was some time ago. It has expanded since my last visit. Great artwork and blueprints! I would love to see a new,bigger version of that cool scoutship. I love this kit,and the original LE artwork. I can't wait for the re-release of the glow version,I will get at least 2-3! The ONLY thing I don't like is the clunky scoutship landing gear. Now if we can get Round 2 to release the K7 station too.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Don't mean to keep poping into these posts with teasers...but....
I just happen to be sitting on masters for a 1/72 scale Vega ( Leif Scout Ship ). The kit will include a cockpit as well as 2 options for landing gear.
It will become available soon(ish)
lots of other groovy things in the works as well.

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
No problem on mentioning the kit. It really is a nice one. I think that Steven Wilson - the designer - came up with an awesome descendent of the Leif Ericsson design. :thumbsup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts