Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone see the show last night? They bid on a locker after they saw boxes labeled " Hotwheels." Jarrod and Brandi won the bid. When they opened the Hotwheel boxes they said we can sell these for 2-3 dollars each. It was hard to tell, but they appeared to be early 2000's. I swear I thought I saw a t-Hunt being put on a peg.

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
I've seen that one several times myself. They show the cars so fast it is tough to tell exactly what cars they are but they are from the early 2000's.
On one of the new episodes on Tuesday, Barry bought a unit that had a box and a tub of Hot Wheels but they didn't show you as much as the time Brandi and Jarrod bouth them.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I saw both episodes. The first one were early 2000's mostly 2001, it looked like. I busted out laughing when Jarrod found them and said "these are old. You can't find these any more and collectors will want them". Then he priced them at $2-$3 ea. :freak: The episode this week, with Barry, looked like early mid 2000's as well. He found a couple totes full and though he could get $100 for them. Couldn't see much so maybe, maybe not.

·
Premium Member
10,287 Posts
They always seem to over price the items to justify the money they spent, not just on HWs.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
They always seem to over price the items to justify the money they spent, not just on HWs.
Exactly.....

When they sort through the stuff they won,they just shout out prices on everything.To me,they always seem way too high.

Huge lots of hotwheels from that era go off on eBay all of the time and close with no bids.

Stuff in the media like this just gets more losers on the look out for stuff to hoard as an investment.

That show,and the others like it,not a fan.First off,it's cooked,made up.I know people who have bought storage lockers,and 99.9%of the time it's garbage.They set the lockers up,makes for better tv.
And also,now we find entertainment in the suffering of others?Peoples belongings that we're lost because they couldn't pay their storage fee,hoarders,the addiction shows......
I know what it's like to loose everything.Not good times.Not a fan of the show.

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts

Very true.

I went to storage auctions before they were on TV. I saw a 10' X 30' sell for $825 before the TV series hit the air. Upfront was a jukebox, and the unit was loaded with welders, tools, and various items that would bring much more than $825.

A local TV station did a 3 minute clip on the 11:00 P.M. news last year showing a woman that sold a Tiffany item on eBay for $28,000. I don't know what she paid for the unit. They also showed a guy that bought a 5' X 10' unit for $40. It appeared to had junk in the unit, but like Barry on TV he was a good actor. The last thing that he opened was a backpack with thirteen $100 bills inside (sorry, I don't believe it).

Last year the storage facility had a vendor selling food and drink. There were a lot people after the news did the 3 minute clip.

Funny, but I'm going to a storage auction tomorrow. I don't want a unit filled with items that I don't want, but I hang around and offer to buy certain items from the winners of the auctions. They are in it for the money, and it saves them from taking some stuff home.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess I opened Pandora's Box on this one! Most of those folks own their own Thrift shops where they unload their "goods." Dave has his own Auction business and apparently is quite successful. But AMX is right. Those folks definitely over rate their purchase. It is an entertainment show for the amusement for only those who watch.:tongue:

·
Premium Member
13,377 Posts
Here's some pics that I took at a storage auction. People had jackets on, but the weather will be nice tomorrow, and a couple young women attend the summer auctions with clothing that keeps them cool. :devil: :hat:

Hey!......wait for me!

Nevermind, I got a ride on the cart.

·
Premium Member
9,252 Posts
Nice Hotwheels Collection Congrats.:wave::thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
There is a local woman I have talked to a few times after seeing her at a storage auction and she said she put her kids through college from storage unit buying and her second hand store. She lives in a nice neighborhood, too so I know she's not hurting for money.

The day I went to the auction, she didn't bid on anything because it was mostly junk except for one unit that had a bunch of really nice furniture in it. I think it went for five or six thousand dollars. I think I had brought five hundred with me just in case I got something cheap.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I think it all set up, Storage wars are in Cali and so are action hunters on (speed network) and the storage war guy almost never find guns I don't remember if thay have, and the other guys find guns every were thay go, and nice guns at that, common you didn't have space for a hand gun in your house car or truck, I think it all tv ratings

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
I think it all set up, Storage wars are in Cali and so are action hunters on (speed network) and the storage war guy almost never find guns I don't remember if thay have, and the other guys find guns every were thay go, and nice guns at that, common you didn't have space for a hand gun in your house car or truck, I think it all tv ratings
Auction Hunters isn't on Speed, they are on Discovery IIRC. There is a disclaimer at the start of their show that they only showcase the best finds on TV. They did a special behind the scenes episode in which they showed what 90% of their auctions turn out like.

One local storage unit buyer showed up at the local flea market with over 9,000 Hot Wheels he got in a storage unit. Said he paid $500 for the unit and was selling the cars for $.50-$1 each. I think he ended up finding some guy that gave him $5k for everything by the time the day was over.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts