Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are a lot of people working with NOVAK on a stock speed brushless motor for use with LYPOs, and I do not know what expense is involed in getting a motor to the local HS, BUT? What about a motor that has speeds more like stock or spec with a four cell hooked up to it? Most people seem to think that the 13.5 on 4-cells is more like a good 19 turn now. Even with the 4-cell/13.5 combo it is a little too fast for a newb and to tell the truth it will be a while before you get the majority to switch over to LYPOs. PLUS it would then be a nice step up from the new (stock speed) motor you are developing for use with LYPOs when they become more common. I think there would be a large demand for such a motor now. IMO. Leave a post if YOU would be interested in such a motor. Ralf

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
We also need A motor with speeds close to stock with a 4 cell pack. They have been testing the 17.5 with lipos. When they get done with that test they are going to test it with 4 cell and give a comparison to stock. We also are nowhere near using lipos.

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
I thought the 13.5 was already slow enough with 4 cell???? The 4300 is closer to a 19t. The 4300 didn't have enough bottom end for our track. We run 4 cell 5800.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
4300 has been faster than 19t at most of the major oval races since 4200mah came out.

13.5 with 4-c would be way to much for a newbie to handle especially with the BRL areo package...

The only bad thing about making new "calmer paced" motors is there is no market for them besides oval.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
KenBajdek said:
I thought the 13.5 was already slow enough with 4 cell???? The 4300 is closer to a 19t. The 4300 didn't have enough bottom end for our track. We run 4 cell 5800.
not enough bottom end? maybe you didn't gear it right?

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Danny B said:
The only bad thing about making new "calmer paced" motors is there is no market for them besides oval.
Danny, the 17.5 motor we've been tesing w/ the LIPOs I believe would actually make a great TOURING car motor for the entry level guys who are screaming for a bit slower speeds too....if we could get our local club back on the track - it's something else I had planned to do some testing in.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
When I stop into the local hobby shop and watch the offroad guys run it looks like about 80% of them need a slower motor. They don't know they need a slower motor, but they do!

I kind of wonder if you'll find a point of diminishing returns with the BL motors where increasing turns really doesn't slow the cars all that much anymore. They make so much torque you just hang more gear on and go not too much slower.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
pmsimkins,

I hear a lot of the offroad guys get a HOT motor..and quickly sell it cause they can't put it to the ground...so they go back to something like a 4300 or 13.5 or maybe even an 8.5

FroDaddy,

I've got one of the 2 17.5 motors from NoVak and they ARE supposed to be winding something new...we've requested it to be a minimum of a 20.5 and I think a 21.5 would be nearly perfect.

Just waiting for it..so we can do some more testing

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
KenBajdek said:
??????????? Don't judge this motor just from your own experience. Myself and a few others have had no problem with the bottom end with the 4300 at "our" track. Funny that at the biggest race of the year at this track the A-Main was half 5800 SS+ and 4300 GTB and all were with in a lap.

I believe that the 17.5 motor with 4-cells would be the best thing for a beginner.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I think there is a real need for something slower for beginners with 4-cells, soething like a "spec" motor without all the hasles of maintaing the spec motors. Let the new guy concentrate on set up and driving. Spec is one of the larger classes in the Carolinas. Hope you are right about the 17.5. I am trying to get back into racing after almost 4 years off and do not want the motor hassles so I've started in 13.5 and after being awayt for a while ( and NEVER an A main guy anyway) it IS a handful. Ralf

1 - 11 of 11 Posts