Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, got a quick question about gearing... I am using an Epic Stock 27t motor and I was wondering abiout something...If I increase RPM how should I adjust my gearing. Should I go with a larger or smaller pinion. I am running a TC4 on oval. Thanks in advance Jeff

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I'd start with a smaller pinion first. Changing the spur on the TC3/4 is always a pain. Generally speaking motors with more RPM have less torque, so you usually have to run a smaller pinion.

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
Your also running the stock motor which is the LEAST FORGIVING in rollout..(as in>>A motor thats FAST within a very narrow gear range). Those motors have a lot of RPM in them...so you will want to gear LOW.. compared to what guys running say a monster stock would use..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Problem I am having is that my dyno keeps telling me that I want to gfo with a larger pinion.,.. Right now I run a 29t with a 72t spur... dyno suggests that I should run 33-34t pinion with the 72spur... I have no idea what to do lol ...

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
General rule of thumb.

If a monster is the benchmark motor. I'd go down 2 teeth with an Epic Roar stock. Run the same gear if running an X stock, go up 1-2 teeth if running a CO27.
Granted not perfect but will get you close.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The motor that I use has an epic endbell, but and a chrome can, the track calls it a monster stock..But there are no labels and we are forced to use this motor...So I am not 100% sure of what motor this is, I am getting 60-65 power(on best motors) and 21000 rpm on my fantom if this gives you any help determining which motor it is...Thanks in advance Jeff

·
Premium Member
2,251 Posts
UNLESS you have a RECORD run.. or close to it ...logged into your dyno.. the gearing software is pretty much useless.. If your logged runs are always 5 laps off.. the dyno WILL ALWAYS tell you to ADD TEETH to get on pace..

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
jeffbhhs said:
The motor that I use has an epic endbell, but and a chrome can, the track calls it a monster stock..But there are no labels and we are forced to use this motor...So I am not 100% sure of what motor this is, I am getting 60-65 power(on best motors) and 21000 rpm on my fantom if this gives you any help determining which motor it is...Thanks in advance Jeff
Sounds like a monster handout motor,does it have a purple endbell? if so it is a monster handout.Yep probably need to gear down.

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
jeffbhhs said:
from the dyno numbers it definately sounds like a Trinity Monster-based Handout motor.
Gearing should be the same as a Monster stock, maybe less than a tooth higher since the epoxy arm should be touch heavier than a drill balanced arm.

Monster Stock - Trinity Products - RC2140 - RC2141
Light pearl green can
D-5 black endbell
White tag
blk letters
40 laminations per stack.
Drill balanced arm

Monster Handout - Trinity Products TM77H
Silver can
purple endbell
black tag EPIC27H
40 laminations per stack.
Epoxy Balanced arm

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
This is to the originator of this thread:

If you are running a touring car on oval you really need to go with 64 pitch gears, especially if your are running an Epic stock motor. I'd recommend the Cobalt as it is more forgiving, but the 64 pitch gears are easier to make finer gearing changes for the Epic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
we are required to run this epic motor...Yes it does have the purple endbell...I will try to gear it down to see how that works. Everytime I geared up it seemed to get slower, but my biggest problem was that I kept relying on the stupid dyno... I will try dropping a few teeth and maybe even go to 64p. from what you are saying, it sounds like a monster handout... thanks for the tips. What have been good rollouts for you guys on oval. My track is about 160 ft.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
jeffbhhs said:
we are required to run this epic motor...Yes it does have the purple endbell...I will try to gear it down to see how that works. Everytime I geared up it seemed to get slower, but my biggest problem was that I kept relying on the stupid dyno... I will try dropping a few teeth and maybe even go to 64p. from what you are saying, it sounds like a monster handout... thanks for the tips. What have been good rollouts for you guys on oval. My track is about 160 ft.
Most definetly go to 64 pitch,leave the dyno at home,I don't even own one anymore,just a MM motor master to keep track of RPM's and Amp draw,really all you need nowadays.Get your gearing from the fastest guy on the track he will be real close to what you need,then work on your set up cause that's where the rest of your speed will come from.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts