Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been soring and cleaning out my NASCAR models as part of my long term downsizing of my collection. I remember when the SCM models first came out - kind of pioneer's in the NASCAR stuff as they predate Racing Champions and the others. Think ERTL had done a few stock cars but they were mostly as custom imprints/limited editions. The SCM cars started out with some using the ERTL Monte Carlo casting and then they starting producing their own castings in Roaring Springs, PA. The decals they offered were awesome - the cars - rather crude but still for the most part the only game out there for us stock car fans. For those not familiar with them - they came painted and you added the decals and put them together as simple kits with a screw on base. This first batch are what would now be "classified" as adult collectibles - these were made before that pc nonsense

and for those who were fans of The Intimidator...

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a HUGE collection of these from when I was a kid. I finally pulled them out of the storage boxes (old shipping boxes from SCM with 1990 postmarks) and found that they still look absolutely perfect. I'm planning to put them in a display case and can post a picture later.

I can't find ANY information on what these might be worth if I was interested in selling. I've not followed NASCAR in 20 years so I'm considering parting with these if I can find a new home that will value them.

Any recommendations on finding values and potential buyers?

·
Administrator
26,470 Posts
Welcome to the boards @leeN

The best way to test the market is to search the eBay sold listings and see what the current market is bearing. Keep in mind the limited/special stuff might not be showing up because no one is letting go of them though. So it might take a couple months of searches before you see some items listed. Or you may never see them listed. I always recommend holding on to something you are unsure of its interest or value.

Once you get your photos ready - post them up here and someone should be able to point out the better cars and refer you to a values listing or source.

:cheers2:

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
1958 Edsel - this one is from 1985 - this was a Hallmark Club issue - I did not belong but both my sister and her best friend did and they were kind enough to each get me one. :)
John, somehow I have a feeling you meant to put this in the Hallmark discussion... :rolleyes:

EDIT - :lol: haha... seems that you fixed it while I was commenting. :thumbsup:

·
Administrator
26,470 Posts
Hey @pjedsel! I saw a SCM post with a couple of different images with the last one being some type of kit. But, I dont see it anymore though. :willy_nilly:

I also got a 503 error later, so I will ask vs-admin to review todays posts for you. :cheers2:

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There seem to be gremlins at work this morning - not to mention a senior moment or two - yes - I too noticed the SCM post ended up at Hallmark which I edited and edited the SCM one here but now it is gone so will try again.

Welcome leeN - I look forward to seeing what you have you your collection. As for value/selling - it really seems to vary - I offered some of mine for sale and their were few takers - a couple took a few because of their uniqueness and that they were made in the US. I think with these it would be those most dedicated to NASCAR models who are wanting cars/drivers from this era that were not made for others. That is the uniqueness of SCM as they predate Racing Champions and the others. They started out with ERTL blanks (as well as Matchbox and Maisto castings) Their castings are "crude" by today's standards but certainly met a need in the early '90's. Here are a few more from my collection.

Oldsmobile: Copenhagen/AJ Foyt

Ford Thunderbird: Folger's/Mark Martin

Ford Thunderbird (Matchbox casting: Stroh's/Mark Martin)

Oldsmobile: Hardees/Cale Yarborough

Ford Thunderbird: Coors/Awesome Bill from Dawsonville

Pontiac Grand Prix: unassembled kit

Chevrolet Monte Carlo (ERTL casting): Folgers

Chevrolet Monte Carlo and a "created" Pontiac Grand Prix (All ERTL castings)

Chevrolet Monte Carlo (ERTL castings): Budweiser and Miller Beer Cars

Ford Thunderbird: Budweiser

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks! I have every one of those posted. Let’s see if these pictures come through. There’s 48 of them shown and I have another 15 or so plus some of the transports that I didn’t have room in this case

1 - 12 of 12 Posts