Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this series there are two #21 Donnie Allison cars. One in release 1 and one in release 3. Is there any difference in the cars? In the cards?

Link to Wyatt's pics.

Also there are two #21 Buddy Baker cars. One in release 1 and one in release 3. Same question as above.

Link to Wyatt's pics.

Are these like the Top Fuel & Funny Car Legends series where each release has different card art?

This series is my next conquest. LOL!

I have one already. #27 Benny Parsons. :D

Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7,693 Posts
I think the only difference of the duplicate cars is the picture on the blister card of the different releases. I believe the cars and trading cards are the same.

I have 3 loose ones w/ trading cards: AJ Foyt #51 Cutlass, Fred Lorenzen #99 Satellite, and Neil Bonnett #5 Charger. (Also have the Benny Parsons car). Let me know if you're interested.

I sent a bunch of carded ones to BOOGIEVANMAN a few months ago for his collection; don't know if he has any dupes..... Hey B! Ya got any to spare?
- Mark

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
I just dug out my cars, and as best as I can tell, there is only one Donnie Allison car, #21, Purolator, '71 Mercury Cyclone.
Buddy Baker has the #6 car, Cotton Owens, '69 Dodge Daytona, and also the #21 car, Valvoline, '84 Thunderbird.
I have all 22 cars and those were the only ones I could find in relation to your question.

To answer your question on the card art, all three series are different.

Good luck in your new quest!

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Travis, yes there are two repeats. The 1971 Purolator Mercury Cyclone driven by Donny Allison ( released in series #1 & 3) and the Buddy Baker driven 1984 Valvoline Ford Thunderbird ( also released in series #1 & 3). I see no difference in the cars or trading cards at all, no tampo, no markings, nothing! But the blister art is different.

So the final tally is four release's of 6 cars each for a total of 24 cars. But there are only 22 different ones, as two ( the above mentioned) are repeated once each but in different series with different package art.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how it goes. The racing series ( SCL, FCL, TFL, and Racing Machines) are my favorite JL series produced to date!

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Boy, ya learn something new everyday! I had never heard about the duplicates. I have 10 cars with the same artwork, and two sets of 6, each with different artwork. I'll have to look again tonight at the listings on the backs 'cause I don't remember seeing the other two listed last night (and I had my best pair of reading glasses on too! :lol: )

Thanks for the info Ward.

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Well, you know I can be wrong ( can we say 1969 GTO? :freak: ) but I think this is correct.

I have all 24 cars, ( open in a case, but I did retain samples of the blister art for each release) plus this gels with Mac's JL book of a couple of years ago. It also lines up with the the printable check list on JL.com.

But, I never am beyond learing something new. But I really do think this is correct.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
Ok, I pulled out my cars/cards. Travis I gotta thank you for bringing this up, otherwise I wouldn't have discovered that all my cards have gotten moldy.

I now have 22 free Stock Car Legends.

What I found:
I have 12 cards that are the same, front and rear. They both say "Collect all 12 Stock Car Legends" With the exception that four of them do not have the Item # above the bar code. They are:
Mario Andretti #11
Bobby Isaac #71
Marty Robbins #42
Rusty Wallace #88

The other 8 cards have Item # 361-00
Buddy Baker #21 ('84 season)
Donnie Allison #21 ('71 season)
Cale Yarborough #28
Cale Yarborough #11
David Pearson #17
Pete Hamilton #6
Pete Hamilton #40
Darrell Waltrip #88

New card art on the front, and "Collect all 16 Stock Car Legends", with
Item #361-01 above the bar code. These are listed as "NEW!"
David Pearson #17
LeeRoy Yarborough #98
Buddy Baker #6
Darrell Waltrip #11

The final 6 I have, new card art on the front, Item # 361-02, with "6 NEW STOCK CAR LEGENDS!", separately listed above the the first 16.
A.J. Foyt #51
Benny Parsons #27
Richard Brooks #32
Fred Lorenzen #99
Geoff Bodine #50
Neil Bonnett #5

Another thing, the #5 photo card says Neil Bonnett #5, Jim Stacy Racing. The list on the back of the card says 1977 Jim Stacy, Jim Stacy Racing. It's the only one that is listed and pictured with a different driver.

That totals 22 cars, based on the back of the cards. I'm still trying to figure this out. Based on the item #s, are the 4 cards with no item #s a mistake or R1? Or are they actually part of 361-00, which would be R1 or R2. The back of the cards do say "Collect all 12". I'm trying to figure out which is R1, R2, and R3. But like I say, the two that may be duplicates are only listed once. Neither one is part of the 4 "NEW" cars in 361-01, or the last 6 cars released.
I don't know about you guys, but I'm as confused as hell! :confused:

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the replies.

Last night I used Mac's book & Wyatt's site to come up with a check list. Took a couple of hours to get it straight and put in a spreadsheet. [Man, I wish they would get their printable checklists up on the main site....gggrrr :mad:]

The two duplicates had me confused for awhile, but it don't take much to confuse me. LOL! :tongue:

I think this is right.

Release 1

MARIO ANDRETTI # 11
DONNIE ALLISON # 21
BUDDY BAKER # 21
BOBBY ISAAC # 71
MARTY ROBBINS # 42
RUSTY WALLACE # 88

Release 2

DARRELL WALTRIP # 88
PETE HAMILTON # 6
DAVID PEARSON # 17
PETE HAMILTON # 40
CALE YARBOROUGH # 11
CALE YARBOROUGH # 28

Release 3

BUDDY BAKER # 6
LEEROY YARBROUGH # 98
DAVID PEARSON # 17
DONNIE ALLISON # 21
BUDDY BAKER # 21
DARRELL WALTRIP # 11

Release 4

FRED LORENZEN # 99
NEIL BONNET # 5
A.J.FOYT # 51
GEOFF BODINE # 50
BENNY PARSONS # 27
RICHARD BROOKS # 32

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
69Stang said:
The racing series ( SCL, FCL, TFL, and Racing Machines) are my favorite JL series produced to date!
Same here. I have all of the Top Fuel Legends and Funny Car Legends. One carded set and one loose set of both series.

The Racing Machines I am just picking up the ones I like, mostly the drag cars. I may do a complete set in the future.

I have been asked why I would collect cars that aren't in production any more. Well, to me it is just as much fun hunting down these series as it is for those people who do the new stuff. And sometimes it is more of a challenge. Going to club meetings, swap meets, toy shows, hobby shops, buying and trading for them. And when you finally complete a set, it is just as thrilling even if they aren't new releases. LOL! :D

·
Lookout the Mac is Back!!
8,413 Posts
And as a further bit of information, only these cars had White Lightning Versions

The final 6 I have, new card art on the front, Item # 361-02, with "6 NEW STOCK CAR LEGENDS!", separately listed above the the first 16.
A.J. Foyt #51
Benny Parsons #27
Richard Brooks #32
Fred Lorenzen #99
Geoff Bodine #50
Neil Bonnett #5

·
Registered
10,947 Posts
Card Art

I was mistaken on the number of cards, all I had was three ( I wonder if I was thinking of the Top Fuel Legends ). But here they are in order from left to right. The first card list 12 cars, the middle card list 16 ( 4 new ones!) and the last states collect all 22.

The doubbles were on the first and last cards. I hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
69Stang said:
I was mistaken on the number of cards, all I had was three ( I wonder if I was thinking of the Top Fuel Legends ). But here they are in order from left to right. The first card list 12 cars, the middle card list 16 ( 4 new ones!) and the last states collect all 22.
Thanks for the pics. of the cards.

I have been doing a little research and it looks like releases 1 & 2 used the same card art. Then release 3 & 4 had different card art.

So, it seems you have all the cards there are.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
After reading everything here, and looking again and again at my cards and cars, you guys still have me confused. If the first release had 12 cars, the second release only shows 4 NEW cars, so the total to this point is 16 cars.

The third release says 6 NEW STOCK CAR LEGENDS, for a total of 22. I can't figure out where you guys are getting the second set of Baker and Allison cars. They aren't listed in the 6 new cars.

Someone please shed some light on this, thanks.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts