Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This topic may have been covered before, but I couldn't find an answer after a search here. So, I'll just ask. I recently purchased a couple of older matchboxes and noticed the paint was sticky. Any method to un-sticky the paint?

·
Registered
704 Posts
Interesting, me too - first time was this year in all the years I've been collecting. I'm wondering if at some point someone tried waxing them with something that ultimately started breaking down the paint as I've got lots of old Matchbox without the problem. That or possibly the plasticizer's being released from the aging vinyl carrying case they were stored in has some effect...

I have not found any way to re-harden the paint, and trying to clean it in any way removes it :(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I only have the two, #23 Trailer Caravan in Pink which is just slightly tacky on the outside and inside, and #30 8-Wheel Crane who's green body is very sticky while the orange crane part is fine. Makes me thinks wax wasn't the culprit. I would also think if it were an issue with the vinyl carrying cases more models would be affected.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It is caused by plasticiser or other chemical gas exposure which comes from carry cases as well as other sources like tobacco.All colours can be affected after decades however Lesney late 1960s emerald green enamel and tractor blue are the 2 colours which are reacting in much less time than any others which is a reflection on the individual paint forumlations

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Humm...I wonder if there's a way to harden paint. Thanks Karl and SMS88 for your insight.
Yes, use a fine auto body wax like turtlewax -not any sort of abrasive polish and then keep the toy in a non plastic container where air can circulate.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts