Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well came home from Wally's this afternoon and left 4 cars that I would really like to have had but at $4.44 + tax or $4.77 + tax, I left them behind. One price is for "Icons" & the other is for "Precision" but when skanned they all came up $4.77 and were regular release cars. This time last year, $3.24 for reg's, $3.99 for Coke, Monopoly etc. What used to cost about $14.00 fo 4 regular cars now costs over $20.00. Really nice castings but couldn't justify over $20 for cars that weren't really "gotta haves".

Ealier this week I ran into the full set of the "Dukes" cars and instintively got one of each, temporarely forgetting the price hike. Old days (last year), 6 cars, just under $20, today, 6 cars, over $30....
Put 4 back and bought the two I just couldn't leave behind.
Total: Cars I would like to have had 10.....Cars I actually bought 2.

Now I realize diecast cost have all went up, Jada, Maisto, etc. all went up by anywhere from $ .25 to $ .50 all across the board but JL's went up by almost $1.25 per car. Sure put a crimp in my collecting habits but with the bent axles, axles sticking out of the rims, chewed up tires and chipped and bad paint that's been showing up lately, I'm finding it hard to justify spending right at or over $5.00 a car.

This is basically just a major rant on my part but I was wondering if anyone else was having to alter their collecting habits as well or having trouble justifying such a price increase for our beloved liitle diecast cars? And yes, I do make use of the OLD's on this board where I can actually get the cars I want and have them shipped to the house cheaper than I can go out and buy them at Wally's........once again, just a rant......... :wave:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
You're certainly not alone. I bought quite a few in January and early February, but I was feeling good about gas being under $2.00 a gallon, so I was able to ignore the new JL price. Now that gas is going back up, the $4.44 will definitely be an issue. I'm no longer buying whole series, I'm just picking and choosing the cars that really jump out at me.

·
Registered
55 Posts
The price here in Canada is $4.99 for a regular car and $5.49 for the licensed issues. OUCH! I have been buying because I love the cars and they are so much better than the competion but I have to agree about the quality control. I found a finger print on the new Javelin. It was on the side facing the card so I didn't see it when I bought it. Cars painted white are especially bad for runs under the wheel wells plus I have seen my share of paint chips. If I am not 100% happy with the car I leave it.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I"ve adjusted because of price and sie of my collection - it was getting out of hand. I donated almost 300 HWs this past holiday season and barely made a dent in my collection. Not good. :cry:

·
Registered
704 Posts
The reality for me is that it cut my buying (and their sales) about in half. At $3.xx apiece I would buy one to open and an extra if I liked it for my kids/trade/projects/etc. Now I just buy one...

I forgot to add "when I can find them" :)

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
Definitely not buying as much this year, not with that increase. JL seem to be a bit cheaper at TRU or Target, more at WM, less online!

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
I can understand your rant, but for me it was never how much the car cost or I have to have it right now and nothing is going to stand in my way. It has always been buy what you like. Heck gas here is $2.68 a gallon for Mid-Grade and has really gone down all that much. I have seen it anywhere from $2.39 and up for Mid-grade.

I am just after a few cars right now and I hope to find them soon.
The General Lee and that Black Aston Martin Vanquish.
Not to mention the other BWF cars I don't have yet.

American Glory/1 ’73 AMC Hornet 333-21
Lexmark '41 Willys Coupe
Jiffy Lube VW Type 2
Cool Collectibles ’69 Camaro
True Grit/2 GMC Van (Hooker Headers) 392-02

Black Bandits ’49 Mercury
Burch Engineering Karmann Ghia
Charity Wheels Karmann Ghia

KISS Trucks/1 ’29 Model A 423-00

Hot August Nights ’49 Merc
And the Black With Gold Flames Bus that was a promo.
Richard

·
Registered
90 Posts
My habits have changed drastically. ! used to buy 80-90 cars every 3x months. My current purchases for the past 9x months, is only 8x cars. Distribution of product and outrageous price hikes; is the downfall for JL's. Thanks alot RC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
I've bought 4-5 cars so far. Price is an issue, OLD's seem to be the better buy if you get a couple to negate the shipping charge.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
These days I'm being real picky with my jl purchases,and have been buying only a few that I have to have. And even then I will thoroughly inspect them for flaws,I'm definitely not paying $4.50+ for a piece of junk.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I was at T R us in Columbus ,Oh and they had some Jls I haven't seen around Lancaster. I saw the sticker above the peg for the JL Muscle 5.29 . I didn't find any that I liked at that price. I probably would have bought maybe 4 cars at 2.99 or 3.29 . I saved a few $$$ tonight. Maybe I'll find them on clearance at some unknown store in about 6 months to a year. :rolleyes: Chuck.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
I`ve actually bought quite a few JL`s and GL`s but out of the 12 I but,I sell 10-11 of them that way I have nothing invested in any of my cars.
I bought 2 sealed masters of GL`s and sold 30 from each so I have $0 in my gm`s. :thumbsup:

·
0 Posts
Quantum said:
I"ve adjusted because of price and size of my collection - it was getting out of hand. I donated almost 300 HWs this past holiday season and barely made a dent in my collection. Not good. :cry:
On the contrary, 'good on ya' for brightening a whole pile of kids' Christmases. :thumbsup:

It's nice to see fresh product hitting the pegs lately. They're selling even at $4.92 but, for some reason, the red Retro Camaro convertible and the red Muscle Cars '68 4-4-2 seem to be ones that folks pass by. Not me - I love that Olds!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I can see I'm not alone in being pretty specific about the number and make or model of the cars I now buy. It sure was nice though to buy an armload of Jl's and not go broke doing it. Hope it is worth it to Wally's or RC2 or whoever to make it just a little less fun to collect little cars. I did notice Target had them listed at $3.99 but of course the pegs were empty !

On a side note I did go back to Wally's because I really did like the CG rel. 34 '69 Blazer they had that I had previously left, not usually one of my "gotta haves", but it was a really nice color/combo and a darn nice casting to boot. OK, OK, it was also a white lightning too and it was still there............so it came home with me.........what can I say.........:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts