Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got a old Stihl BG72 handheld leaf blower for free from a contractor. It is pretty beat but runs. I had to replace the gas cap for $10 but now is running good. Seems a little slugish. Was going to clean the spark arestor. If it is too plugged up can I just leave it out of the machine?:confused:

·
Registered
333 Posts
not recommended , thats to prevent a chance of fire. take it out and use a propane torch to burn it off I have yet to have one I cant clean.on a side note that from to rich of a mix should be 50 to 1 ratio and also not running the unit a full speed causes this.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Create a mixture of 1/2 fuel mix and 1/2 Chevron Techron, enough for the blower to idle for 20-30 minutes, the carbon will start dripping out of the muffler,do not rev it up or the carbon will come loose in chunks and bad things can happen, when it is finished fill with regular fuel and let it idle for a few minutes and you are done. After doing this it will be spotless on the inside. Have a good one. Geo

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I don't know if they will work or not, I have never tried them, but I do know Chevron Techron works, give the others a try, I will say don't waste your time and money on the $.99 injector cleaners. Have a good one. Geo

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well took the spark arestor and pipe out and it ran GREAT but was SOOOO loud!! Cleaned and blew it out with 100 psi. But when I put it in it does not run right??? Can I drill the hole for the outlet bigger?

It runs like the spark arestor is still pluged will idle but will not throdle up now? Has freash 50:1 mix in as well.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, can see though the screen, and now like magic the blower is runing and throdleing-up OK?? Maybe some old gas in the lines and carb needed to be worked through.

However when I got the owners manual from Sthil it shows TWO air filters the foam and and paper element this one only had the foam pre-filter, should I try to get the paper filter as well?

·
Registered
333 Posts
You should have filter's #4133 124 2800 pre filter and 4133 124 1500 main filter installed. That foam prefilter only prevents larger particles from getting through it willnot stop the smaller stuff that main filter will catch.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Has the devil in it this fall

Well put both filters in felt one is $6!! Anyway Now it's will not run wiith out being on full choke. I can't figre the think out stalls when I release the trigger and only revs up wit full choke on how. It was running so good before I putthe right air filters!! in it. Pulled them both off again and still doing it:(

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would remove the carburetor open and inspect, and also give a complete cleaning, then you can try to adjust. Was there alot of dampness around the carburetor? like it looks like the carburetor maybe leaking and there is debris around the carb.If so you should not even bother trying to clean or adjust and just replace. That shows signs of an internal leak in the carb that may not be repairable .

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Clean

There is no debris around the carb I cleaned it good at the end of summer with small engine carb cleaner. I will try to disasemble, and clean, but got this unit for free if it needs a new carb I will likely trash it. It is REAL old and was used by a landscaper.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I have never seen an internal leak in a carburetor before, normally you can just rebuild the carb instead of replacing it. The rebuild kits are around $6-10. I would also replace the fuel line and filter if the unit is really old.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts