Hobbyist Forums banner

Steel City Washington PA

6K views 75 replies 20 participants last post by  Mike@SteelCity 
#1 ·
Mike you thru us the bait on your web site about the opening of the Pittsbrugh location. Please give us an update I'm eager to purchase a nitro and Mini-T from your new store to race. Thanks

#53 ·
To be...or not to be??? DIRT

John (and inquiring minds),
We are approved for the space 100%!
BUT, (as there is always a "but")
We are waiting for a call back from the board of directors on exactly what is going to happen to THAT space in the near future as parts of the mall are slated for the wrecking ball! :confused:
Chances are that we will be able to haul some dirt into the space and race until next spring, if not longer. But with the chance of loosing that space before the end of January 05, it may not be worth putting $$ into a 3 month life span for a track. We are ready to pounce on the space soon as we get the word "go". If that is the case, we should be ready to go by the end of the month or early October!
I already have my MF2 w/brushless set up and ready to go!
Thanks!
Mike

John@RiverJct said:
Mike, it's been almost 1 week from your last post- inquiring minds want to know............ ???? When will the dirt be delivered? Will there be racing by the end of Sept? Thanks for updating, John.

#54 ·
Wow, what progress you guys have made ups and downs too! looks like you are on the up and up with the new track. are you having indoor racing in MD again this winter? i have been down south for months so i have been out of the loop. looking to visit some tracks whenever i head up before winter. (seasonal job here)

#56 ·
Outdoor Dirt Track

Maxx,
You’re all over SCH. Thanks for posting.
The Mall wants us to do OutDoor On-Road as well as Off-Road. The question now is... where on the grounds?? Time will tell... but we strongly want to produce outdoor off road by next summer.
As you may already know, we do have an off-road track right at our store at Deep Creek Lake, only 90 miles southeast of the store. If you need directions check out the website or give Jerry a call at the MD store.
Mike

MaxxMadness said:
Theres plans for an outdoor track up hear in washington too right? if so, were would that be?

#57 ·
Hmm.....I'm trying to think of were that off-road track could go....I was thinking for a minute the Washington County Fair Grounds... I know that right beside the hospital is a HUGE grass parking area for the big fair every year (probably a couple acres) , but it never really gets filled up, but i duno...i dont think that would be the ideal spot for a track

#58 ·
Off-Road tracks

Maxx,
Well, the mall says we could easily build one behind the movie theater... which there is plenty of room for both off-road and on-road. We will cross that bridge soon enough. We have been approved for the indoor dirt off-road (next to Staples), but we are holding off to see if we can make a 5 or 6 month run apposed to a 3 month run. Nitro would be limited to nice days because we only have a loading dock door and 2 man doors to open for fresh air. We are leaning towards the electric realm though.
We have an off-road track at our Maryland store, which is only 89 miles south/east of the Washington store. Races for that track are every Sunday at Noon. If you jump in now, you can still compete for the points/trophy series, as you must attend six of the nine races. The series is for Monster Truck and 1/8th Scale buggy only, but we do run classes such as Stadium Truck, Mini-T, and more.
Mike

#59 ·
Whats going on with the off road indoor track? I hear mcculloughs building was just put up by the amish. It would be cool to have two rival tracks to run on! I may be moving out of town next spring so I need to get my fix with the locals before I go. Nice carpet track by the way.

#60 ·
Like I said before, we have the space for at least 3 months... not sure what happens after January... We have a decent carpet track that is the largest in the area with both road course and tri-oval... and if we can get a solid word that the off-road space will not be renovated before February, we will go for it. :thumbsup:
Keep in touch on the website! Thanks!

#62 ·
Dinge,
Thanks again and thanks to everyone for the support and interest. What I was trying to say previously is the store is trying to be smart on what we invest in. We would rather spend on permanent structures than something we "may" have to move sooner than later. I am not only talking about dirt, but electricity and water! It is simply a gamble! Technically we could just dump some dirt and be off and racing. It really is a great space! If someone wants to donate, or spear head this, give me a call.
Thanks again!
Mike
:wave:

#69 ·
Mike@StlCity said:
Great! See you on Saturday. Carpet Racing starts at 1PM with registration closing at 12:30...

We are going to get there a little Early I was kind of worried about us guys getting there late and not have a place to pit. We are coming armed with extension cords and really to try our hand at your track. I printed out the rules and was handing them out to those of us in my area.

Look forward to seeing you guys then....

Al :wave:

#74 ·
Well, so I sit here have my morning coffee killing a few minutes before I have to run my son to work at the local hobbies shop in town , thinking about my weekend of racing.
I have to take my hat off to those that Steel City for a way cool day of racing at there track.
Some may know I race at Latrobe and we had a small group of folks make the trip to see the gang at Steel City and try out there track.
I must say I was concerned about what we would find with there current carpet. It was great we were able to stick just fine. The Staff and other racers were outstanding. They joked with us and made us feel welcome as if we were regulars there. Mike runs a great race. Mike and his staff were able to keep the races moving right along in a very timely manor.
After talking with most of the guys we were with all of them enjoyed themselves and all want to plan another trip back. We had talked about maybe once a month running down there.
Mike did a wonderful job with everything and the staff he had put up with us and was great with pointing us to the parts we needed and wanted in the store.
If anyone is thinking of making the trip….Do it! We were pleasantly surprised at what we found and had a great time!
Thanks guys at Steel City. I’ll be seeing ya again.
Al :thumbsup:

#75 ·
Al,
Thanks for stopping in and bringing the gang with you! It was a lot of fun and hope to continue this type of racing anytime you can make it! Everyone at SCH (staff and racers) want to provide the best quality of racing from track conditions to atmosphere... and the Latrobe gang just added to it! 90% of it is just having good clean fun!
Happy Holidays!
Mike

wizard said:
Well, so I sit here have my morning coffee killing a few minutes before I have to run my son to work at the local hobbies shop in town , thinking about my weekend of racing.
I have to take my hat off to those that Steel City for a way cool day of racing at there track.
Some may know I race at Latrobe and we had a small group of folks make the trip to see the gang at Steel City and try out there track.
I must say I was concerned about what we would find with there current carpet. It was great we were able to stick just fine. The Staff and other racers were outstanding. They joked with us and made us feel welcome as if we were regulars there. Mike runs a great race. Mike and his staff were able to keep the races moving right along in a very timely manor.
After talking with most of the guys we were with all of them enjoyed themselves and all want to plan another trip back. We had talked about maybe once a month running down there.
Mike did a wonderful job with everything and the staff he had put up with us and was great with pointing us to the parts we needed and wanted in the store.
If anyone is thinking of making the trip….Do it! We were pleasantly surprised at what we found and had a great time!
Thanks guys at Steel City. I’ll be seeing ya again.
Al :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.