Hobbyist Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Washington Store

I see where you guys are putting in a new store in Washington. Thats awesome! I live in Grafton, WV, which is about 30 mins away from Morgantown. I have to drive almost 2 hours to the nearest track, and its outdoor onroad only, with no hobby store. I race in Washington previously at the oval track there, I think its called Courtview. Have you spoken with them yet? Maybe they would join you, and you could have three tracks there. I just wanted to say how cool its going to be racing there, especially since I have a XXXS, XXXT,and XXXNT to race all in one place! Will this be a fully R/C stocked store, or the one whats already there, with models, and coins, and a few R/C items? Thanks again, Ky Layfield

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
Mike,
No problem with the tour... major progress again today. Check out the pics.

Ky,
Thanks... Steel City Hobbies will most likely have the top R/C selection in the whole Pittsburgh area as that is our concentration. We have general hobbies as well, but will have a much stronger inventory in R/C cars, trucks, planes & aircraft, boats, etc. The "silver mine" shop down the way is more of a collectable shop with coins, etc. Even some of the R/C stuff they have is collectable as it has been there for quite some time from what people have told us.

If you live in WV, you may want to check out Steel City Hobbies in Western MD. It is about 50 minutes from Morgantown in Oakland Maryland, Deep Creek Lake. That is a dedicated R/C shop with an outdoor track that may be closer to you than you think.

For information on all of this, check out www.steelcityhobbies.com

Mike!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Mike and John,
First,congratulations!Pictures of the store look great,I can't wait to see it.Hope to stop by one evening when your working(if that's OK).
2nd,a confession.I had serious doubts about this happenning at all and had voiced my concerns to John who defended Mikes plans against my worries.
I'd like to apologies for doubting Mikes intensions,seems that he is very thorough and appears to be doing it right.
I will try my best to support both locations and spread the word.

3rd,Got me an 1/8th scale!!!! With waaayyyy to much power!

See ya at Washington.

Best of luck,
Tom

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
Moving Forward

Tom,

No problem brother!
One thing I have learned is go with the sure thing... and we had many opportunities present themselves with either wanting to join us, merge with us or even buy us... I listened to most of them, and even gave benefit of the doubt a few times... and when that really started to slow our initial plans of opening in the Pgh area, I had to move on and DO SOMETHING.

You have to remember that I wanted to get into the Hobby R/C biz only 15 months ago... Within 5 months I opened my 1st store (Deep Creek Lake, MD) and one year later, Washington PA and soon to pull RJ under the SCH shield. It is an ever evolving process and I want to do it right the first time. I try to keep my eyes open and always listen to any advice from anyone who wants to give it... and of course, trust my friends and instincts.

With that said, we are building something to get us through the upcoming winter with some indoor R/C fun... and hopefully someday soon to build an even bigger and better facility to house everything from electric to Nitro.

I am still in the “Crawling” phase of things but I think we will all grow as fast as the R/C enthusiasts will let us. We just want to have some quality fun!

Mike!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Any future plans for indoor carpet oval in same location with the carpet road course location looks large enough to hold both of them ?

·
Registered
846 Posts
Hello kaug, yes, the carpet track will be BOTH, since it will be big enough(easily). Initially, when we get the rug down, the oval will be the first thing that could be used, and then a week or 2 later, we'll add roadcourse to the menu. Then, in August? sometime we hope to have the off-road track under way, to open by Labor Day?? Once again, this is a prediction, and things can happen where this might be pushed back a bit. But, be sure that your off-road (electric) vehicles will NOT sit idle this winter!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup: Thanks for asking, and please stop by the Washington store this Sunday or Monday(opening day). John @ RJ :wave:

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
Finishing Touches

We are just putting a few finishing touches on the store. We have decent inventory already loaded into the shop. We will be open on Monday but with Cash only.... as we are setting up the credit card, computer, etc. Thanks to everyone who pitched in this weekend to help us open up by tomorrow! Very impressive work in such a short amount of time.
Mike!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Walked by tonight. Can't wait to check out the awesome display of goods! Very impressive RC store. Clearly a leader in the area (if not the US).

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
Doors wide open...

We hope to have some Steelers SWAG (Stuff) within a few days or so... in the mean time, T-Maxx's are going like hot-cakes. Also, Losi Francis 2 trucks will be going fast but we have a decent shipment coming tomorrow or Friday. We are STILL unpacking inventory such as parts, etc... we ran out of slat wall hooks so if anyone has any, let me know! :cool:

RCDinge, we have been open since Monday so stop in and introduce yourself next time you are in the mall!

Mike

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
Track Design - On-Road & Off-Road

To view a few track designs submitted over the last week, you can view them here: http://www.steelcityhobbies.com/WashPaTrackPropo.shtml

If you have any comments or suggestions, or even want to design something yourself to be posted on the Steel City website, email [email protected] with your drawing and some specs.

Mike :thumbsup:

·
Used to be racer......
4,210 Posts
Speaking from one track owner to another. If you don't mind my asking.......where in the world have you come up with the capital to do all this Mike? I'd like to visit the same bank. :lol:

·
Steel City Hobbies
1,395 Posts
It is called the Bank of Mike... Hmmm... hey wait... they don't have any loot either? I just try to research what I am doing and what I want to do and "try" to make all the right moves. Maybe in a year or two we will build that 320x150 building we have already designed. I would post that on my website, but why should I give my plans to someone else right? :devil:
It is all about having good, clean fun - for everyone.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Mike and John

i would be happy to help out some when you decide to start work on the tracks.. my family has been in the store a few times to get some small items(battery bars and wire, andpaint) and think it will be a positive outcome for the western PA R/C scene..also im sure the kids and wife would help out some as well so that things can get up and running faster

Jeff Stickle

21 - 40 of 76 Posts