Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been gathering info for a while on a lot of this stuff and the prices to say the least are a little steep. In terms of a sellers standpoint which is the more popular resin or plastic? How does the manufacturer of a model effect the going rate? In terms of a collectors standpoint do you build specificly to re-sell? Or just to display? With all this info I am kind of unsure which avenue to take resin or plastic.....

·
Premium Member
8,335 Posts
On the plastic versus resin issue, I'd say it depends on the subject. If the kit is in high demand, yet never produced in plastic, then it's going to do well. If it's available in plastic, tho, it likely won't sell so well. Most resin GKMers know this, which is why you almost never see a resin kit of a subject when there's already a plastic kit available.

Well, unless the resin kit is superior to the plastic kit. I've seen a few instances of this - mostly in the car and aircraft communities - where the plastic kit in a popular scale isn't all that great, so someone comes out with a resin kit, vac kit or some resin accurizing bits - or a combination thereof.

As to which avenue you should take... Are you going to build for your own pleasure or even for shows? Are you planning to build for others? If you're building for own pleasure, buy whatever grabs you - regardless if it's resin, vac or injection molded. If you're building for contests, I'd suggest the same thinking applies. If you're building for others, you've got to build what's out there if you want to get paid.

My ultimate personal philosphy is: Build what you want, the way that you want and to Heck with what anyone else thinks. :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Confusing Thought

Thanks Griff. One confusing thought.Why would someone buy a model already assembled at a much higher price than it would costs to build themselves. Is there some logic there I do not see? Not that there is anything wrong with it but is the market that strong for this stuff?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Dragon Elf pondered:
Why would someone buy a model already assembled at a much higher price than it would costs to build themselves?
I would assume there are those who are not very skilled
and would want a model that is finished well. A factory produced
kit can sometimes look better.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Also, in regards to pre-builts, a lot of people just don't have the time. There are a lot of older modelers with families, careers, etc. that don't have the time to build. When I was younger I used to constantl buy and build non stop. Now that I am older there are other things that I have to spend time and money on. I also agree with Griffworks, buy and build what you want. Don't feel pressured or obligated to build what others say are the best models, subjects, style, etc.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep that can be confusing. I have a resin Predator that I keep contemplating on priming but I have not gotten around to it. I might do it today. I think a lot of it with me is reading what others say and build maybe I was feeling some pressure kind of like trying to fit in I guess.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Build what you want and show it off here. Even though I may not build say, military vehicles for example, I still enjoy looking at what others have done. Just because it's a tank does not mean I can't take something from it to improve on what I build. We can all learn from what each other builds.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
:cool: Dragon Elf, ALL of the above are correct ! I go by the theory of that great pholosopher Rick Nelson: " You can't please everyone so you got to please yourself!"
My interest is basically Universal Studios' Monsters of the movies, but I've got stuff here as eclectic as Snoopy & the Red Baron and the Jetson's space car, with a few dinosaurs thrown in.

I prefer styrene but with the lack of availability I grab resin, vinyl, whatever rings my chimes at the time. Price IS a major factor though. ( IF I find my "grail" of George Zucco in the Mummy movies I'll embezzle the wife's pension money !!! )
Dabbler
PS. Robiwon is right, whether our "field" or not we all appreciate the other guy's work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Dabbler I also have a preference when you get right down to it, resin but they are expensive. When I was a kid I had the old Wolfman, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Godzilla and so on. Gosh if I only knew then what I know now I would have wrapped them in kevlar and packed them away in a vault somewhere. But I guess hind sight is 20/20 when you look at it that way. Still gauging and getting a feel for whats out there and really have no particular interest per say though I am partial to the old monster types I just mentioned.

·
Premium Member
3,930 Posts
I build & "collect/display" strictly for my own satisfaction and prefer "cheaper" styrene, but an advantage of garage kits & resin is the "exclusivity" of limited production. I have a "James Arness-The Thing from another world" fighting the dogs that was the last casting before the mold fell apart, so there's the "bragging rights" of "limited edition".

Don't feel bad about those lost models. I used to work retail and when they sold for $.98 I could get them for $.60, but wasn't into models then. IF only I knew, huh. Just hang onto them for 40 years and make a killing !! LOL
Of course by then someone comes out with repops, like Polar Lights, and.....

·
Lifetime Quacka
1,725 Posts
the Dabbler said:
I build & "collect/display" strictly for my own satisfaction and prefer "cheaper" styrene, but an advantage of garage kits & resin is the "exclusivity" of limited production.
I am with Dabbler on this one. I build for self satisfaction and I also prefer the styrene kits over resin. Vinyl being the very least favorite. There are a ton of cool styrene kits that I have yet to assemble and they will keep me busy for a long time to come. There ARE a lot of resin kits that I love just as much. They are a little more pricey therefore I am more selective about the resin kits when purchasing. Can't beat resin for the detail though! I have a LOOOOONG list of resin kits I want to get. All I need is that winning lottery ticket :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
Models - Horror Figures and Science Fiction
6,034 Posts
D.E.,

My taste in kits is much like everyone else's who have responded to this thread, in that I'm a huge fan of the Aurora plastic model kits of the Universal movie monsters. Like most everybody, I've branched out from that starting point into other subjects and non-styrene kits (with the result that, also like most everybody else, I've amassed more kits than it is humanly possible to build in one lifetime...but I digress).

Anyway, the material from which a kit is made is of less interest to me than the subject. For example, I have a collection of the Aurora Monsters that I built up, which I wouldn't let go of for the world. In no way are they the best representations of the monsters...but the nostalgia makes them priceless to me. I also have several vinyl and resin kits of the same monsters that are larger, better detailed, and represent their subjects far more accurately than the Aurora kits did. These I will build just to have better monsters. They were more expensive than styrene kits, but I was willing to pay the price.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I'm with you guys.
I build them for my own tastes.
Here are a couple examples of my unique vision:

A "Beach Camo" Jedi Starfighter

A Cobalt Galor-class Cardassian warship

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Dragon Elf said:
Dabbler I also have a preference when you get right down to it, resin but they are expensive. When I was a kid I had the old Wolfman, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Godzilla and so on. Gosh if I only knew then what I know now I would have wrapped them in kevlar and packed them away in a vault somewhere. But I guess hind sight is 20/20 when you look at it that way. Still gauging and getting a feel for whats out there and really have no particular interest per say though I am partial to the old monster types I just mentioned.
if you had done that, they wouldnt be worth squat. why? because a bunch of others would have done the same, and they wouldnt be nearly as rare. the reason that they are valuable at all is because they are like a bottle of a very rare vintage wine; every time one is opened, theres one less in the world. sometimes i shake my head at the fanboys who squirrel these thigs away, thinking they are going to hit the jackpot eventually. they dont realize that theres thousands of others just like them. this stuff wasnt collected by adults in the 60s and 70s, like it is now.

as to selling your buildups, the market isnt what it was 10-20 years ago (which can be said for the entire figure kit market period). a friend of mine is an award winning kit builder, and he's not nearly as busy as he once was. the ready-made market has raised its own bar so that its producing pieces that are almost as nicely finished as a custom kit. art asylum, neca, mcfarlane, sideshow and the rest do some fine stuff, and why pay hundreds of $ for a custom build when you can get something that (to the untrained eye) looks just as good for $20?

so buy what you yourself want, build it as you like and have a spot ready on the shelf for it.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have to chime in with my preference to styrene as well. Resin is too time-consuming and expensive for me. When I break a styrene part or mess something up, it's easier and cheaper for me to just glue it back together or obtain another copy of the plastic model. I'm ready and willing to support these new model companies that want to start producing new, plastic models again.

I will say that I have worked with vinyl models and prefer them over resin, but I'll take styrene over anything else. My two main collections are figure models and showrods. But I like pretty much like anything different or offbeat like the Weird-Ohs or the Psycho House. I would say I'm a collector, but I don't buy any model without the intention of building it someday.

And welcome to the forum!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts