Hobbyist Forums banner
  • If you've ever been interested in the history of Zee Toys or Maisto over the course of the 80s, 90s and into the modern day, you should come over to the Hobbytalk Ask Me Anything with Chepp going live on Tuesday, September 21st and running until Thursday, September 23rd. Don't miss out! You can ask your questions here!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have mostly been collecting 1:64s and I have about 25 1:24s and about 10 1:18s from various cheaper makes. Since I collect '67 Shelby GT-500/GT-350s, I was starting to look at the Lane Exact Detail cars. While looking at the detail on those, I noticed a few other cars I really liked and started looking around. I have picked up a few questions and would like to get a few opinions on some of the cars I am looking for (if there is a better manufacturer, etc). I know they are a little expensive sometimes, but I don't want to keep buying them. I just want to pick up some nice examples of cars that I like. Anyway, the list I have so far is below and some of them have links to info about the cars in case you are interested in seeing what I am looking for. Aside from that, what is your favorite 1:18th manufacturer for detail? I've seen a lot of nice GMP cars and some Exotos. I mostly want to know if they are really as nice as their price would suggest.

Thanks for all the info and Happy Holidays!

1:18s
- Lane Exact Detail Red 1967 Shelby GT-500
- Ertl Brittany Blue 1967 Shelby GT-500 (REALLY hard to find)
- AutoArt 2005 BMW M3 GTR Nurburgring #2
- Highway '61 1970 Challenger R/T Banana Yellow
- Exoto 1965 Shelby Daytona Finish Line (I know, SUPER limited)
- GMP 1967 Camaro Trans-Am #36 raced version
- AutoArt 1991 BMW E30 M3 Racecar
- '68 - '70 Charger Daytona ???
- '65 - '67 Nova II ???
- Shelby Cobra (raced version preferred)
- GT40 (raced version preferred)

1:24s
- GMP Brittany Blue 1967 Shelby GT-500

1up

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a number of the Lane Exact Detail Mustangs, including a couple of the 1967s and the quality and detail is very good indeed. I don't believe you will be disappointed at all.
AutoArt produces some fine products as well. I don't have the BMWs you mentioned but I do have their Lamborghini Miura and Jaguar C-type , both of which are beautifully done.
As for Highway 61, I have the Hemi Cuda and I think they did a beautiful job on this one so I feel the Challenger R/T would be a equal quality.
Exoto: Well, you can't go wrong here. I have one of their Shelby Daytona coupes which is stunning. I also have four of their Ford GT40s and three Shelby Cobra 289s and the detail, quality, finish etc are all top notch.
GMP: I have the #36 Penske Camaro Trans-Am along with the #16 equivalent, plus a number of other GMP models and have not been disappointed yet. Excellent quality.
I have found in collecting 1:18 diecast that once you start collecting the higher end products, you will be spoiled by the higher level of detail, exactness and quality.
If you really want a treat, get something from CMC. I have their Ferrari 250 GT SWB and it is so realistic you would think you could put a key in it and start it! BBR is also starting to produce some stunning 1:18 scale models in the over $200 price range.
If you go to the Photo Album section, you can take a look at some of the examples of the brands you have mentioned in my collection. You will see that GMP, Exoto, and Kyosho are among my favorite brands.
Good luck with your collecting.

·
Banned
76 Posts
diecastmm said:
I have found in collecting 1:18 diecast that once you start collecting the higher end products, you will be spoiled by the higher level of detail, exactness and quality.
Isn't that the truth! There is absolutely NO WAY I could ever buy a HW, Jada or muscle machine again. I hate to say it but I'm not buying American Muscle anymore either, except the Authenics. I used to waste OVER $300 a month on hw's...YES, I said waste. I take that money plus all the gas money and my time and purchase adult diecast collectible vehicles.
I mainly collect GMP and Hwy 61. It is next to impossible to get Exoto and CMC. I have 1 of each and would not hesitate and picking up more. I also have a couple of Lane, I love the Tin Indian. I have some AutoArt, but I won't be getting anymore until they start putting in detailed engines and interiors or cut their price by more than half. Most of the new releases are just shells.
I have some pics in my gallery. I've actually been picking up some GMP 1/12 scale which I find are nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm new to this forum,

I was wondering where to go for all the priceguides for the diecast if anybody please let me know where i can go,and also i hope everybody had a very merry christmas.And hope everyone has a happy new year.
Thank you
Outdoorsman6972

·
Registered
45 Posts
Last year, I found a diecast guide just for 1:18 scale cars called "The Standard Guide to 1:18 Scale Die-Cast Cars, by Merry Dudley, from the publishers of Toy Cars & Models magazine. Of the various guides I looked at, it tended to be the better choice out there and I found it at Barnes & Noble.
To find Exoto and CMC, you can go to eBay to see what's out there, or order directly from the manufacturer by going to their websites (www.exoto.com and http://www.cmc-modelcars.de/en/index.htm) or go to some of the various die-cast vendors out there who stock these. Some of the ones I use include: http://www.gtscalemodelcars.com/
www.exoticar.com
just to name a couple.
I have also run across some very good independent vendors on eBay that I have repeatedly dealt with that give excellent service.
Good luck to each of you in your collecting. It becomes quite an addiction and there is so much new stuff coming out all the time that the biggest problem is deciding what to get next (or, in some cases, if you can afford it!).

·
Registered
10 Posts
The Lane Mustangs are wonderfully detailed. I've got the dark green 68 GT-500 zone car ltd Ed to 1000 and I love it. I plan on picking up some more of their muscle cars in the future. Gmp also one of the best which can be seen by their Super Bee's, GTX's, Road Runners, along with their Restomod and Street Fighter cars which I have a few of.

If you love bigger scale cars you have to have at least 1 CMC. My one is their anthracite Mercedes-Benz Mclaren SLR with REAL red leather interior. Its as close to the real thing as one can get.

Once you start buying these higher quality diecast its hard to get excited about anything else although some cars you may have to look elsewhere in a different scale like the Dodge Daytona your looking for. The only ones that I have found besides Ertl is from Danbury Mint in 1/24 scale which are beautiful.

http://www.diecast.org/diecast98/html/asp/list_reviews/xq/ASP/id.1337/qx/reviewpix.htm

http://www.diecast.org/diecast98/html/asp/list_reviews/xq/ASP/id.1393/qx/reviewpix.htm

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow, you guys have some beautiful cars and some great advice! I don't know that I have the room to get too carried away with collecting 1:18s. I don't have room for all my 1:64s as it is (although 1:18s would require a more prominent position in my collection). How do you display your collections? I've seen curio cabinets and and the individual displays. Is there any particular methods that work better than others?

Hmm, maybe I'll start with one of the AutoArts and see how it goes (or just jump in with one of the Shelby's). Hmmm . . . payday is coming! :D

1up

·
Registered
45 Posts
Take a look at my photo album and you'll see my display cabinets and how my cars are showcased. Beyond the cabinets, I also have a number of the clear plastic cases that I can display them in individually or in groups.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Beautiful set up you have there and wonderfull collection. One day I hope to have a nice display like yours and get my Danburys out of the boxes.

·
Registered
4,917 Posts
For sure worth it!!! I dont have many diecasts of that caliber, but I wish I did. The cost just isnt in the works for me right now. After we get some bills paid off, then I will likely be going the same route.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went ahead and took the plunge! I have the Candyapple red Lane '67 Shelby GT-500 on its way! I found it on sale at National Diecasters for $79.95. That is about the cheapest I've seen around. I can't even get it off of e-Bay for that price. Anyway, I hope to see it show up sometime next week. I can't wait!

1up

·
Registered
45 Posts
Wow, thanks for the tip, I think I'll have to jump on the red one too and then debate whether to get the blue or the black in addition.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thats a good price. I might have to pick up the red to go along with my green zone car. Thanks for the headsup. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I started to get the red one and realized I already have a red '68 GT500 so I went with the Acapulco Blue instead. I think it will be a nice addition to my Mustang stable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts