Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Toro model 20045 that needs the starter rope replaced. I tried to do this myself yesterday based on a Youtube video, however that video shows removal of the starter by unscrewing two side screws. Unfortunately, my Toro does not have the side screws and the starter appears to be riveted to the main housing. I can't find instructions for rope replacement for this and I understand it's done without having to drill out the rivets. Can anyone assist?

Thanks in advance,
Bill Santos

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
You have a Briggs & Stratton engine on your mower, the video was probably for one with a Tecumseh engine. You need to remove the shroud to service the starter on your mower. There are 4 1/4' cap head screws holding the shroud on. You need to remove the fuel tank to get the starter shroud off, you will see 2 cap head screws on the front above the spark plug and 2 in the rear of the engine. It will require a 3/8" socket or wrench to remove and reinstall them. There are also 4 screws holding the fuel tank on, 3 in the ring around the top near the starter that have a 5/16" head and one on the side near where the fuel line attaches with a 3/8" head. You do not need to remove the fuel line, just lift the tank off and set it to the side.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for this info! With the details you provided, I was able to remove the tank and shroud to access the starter. There's only one new problem: When I lifted the shroud off, the oil dip stick also came off at the same time and dirt fell into the oil. So, I think I'd better clean and refill before using the mower again. What's the best way to clean out the pan after removing the oil? Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone?? Still have the mower partially disassembled awaiting further instructions. I know I'll have to change the oil, but should I do anything else before refilling with new oil? Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I went ahead and just emptied out the contaminated oil and refilled with new.

Is there a repair manual available for this Toro on the web anywhere (pref free)?

Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
6,116 Posts
You can find a lot of service info at Toro's website for your mower. You should be fine with the oil change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts