·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a B&S Vanguard 16Hp v-twin ohv
Model: 303777
Type: 0413-01 7863
Code: 91080611

The starter motor runs but last time I tried starting it it made a screeching noise and only turned the engine a bit and then stopped turning the enging all together. Now it just screeches when I turn the starter key.

The engine powers a Stiga Park rider with a snow thrower so I tried to start it when it was rather cold outside, -10C or so, and I presume the cold oil made it too hard to turn and something "snapped".

As I don't have a garage to work in, I would appreciate any ideas on what probably broke and hope for a quick job outside. I'm no fan of fiddling with engines in the snow :(

Hurry.. it's snowing again :)

Cheers

/Ola

·
Registered
9 Posts
That usually happens when then battery is low and the starter motor doesn't have enough power to engauge in the flywheel. Try with a jumper pack or charge the battery. Also lift the "Head" (I didnt know what to call it but its the part that spins and bites into the flywheel) any way lift it up with a screw driver without starting anything and spray some luricant on the "Track" or spiral. Where are you its only reached 0'c maybe once in CT all winter and we havent gotten more than a few inches of snow all year! i want snow so i can have an excuse to take out my gravely and do some plowing

good luck :rolleyes:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try with some lubricant on the spiral thingy but last time I tried starting, I had just charged the battery overnight. I thought something might have broken in the starter "clutch" that made it unable to engage the flywheel. If the lube doesn't help, I'll see if I can't remove the cover and get a closer look at the starter motor.

I'm located in Stockholm, Sweden and we've had a normal winter with a few months below 0C and a couple of feet of snow. luckily, I managed to clear most of it before the starter gave up on me.

/Ola

·
Registered
151 Posts
sounds to me that your sterter clutch is acring up instad of the starter motor.
take the clutch off and clean the crankshaft under it then check freeness of th steel balls in it,you might be able to clean them or most likely you have to replace the whole starter clutch,in ether case make sure that the crankshaft is clean and free of burrs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts