Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,
I couldn’t resist this modification after watching Starsky and Hutch the movie.
I pulled my JL Torino out to take a look at it and needless to say I was disappointed to see it in a low rider mode with no slot mags. I looked high and low for the correct slot mags, they were very elusive. Then I came across a slot car web site that I had purchased from before. There they were the Slot Mags I needed to complete the project. You may want to add them to your list of part suppliers for vintage style custom wheels and tires. Road Race Replicas (ho-slotcars.com). These do require large diameter axles like slot cars use.

Before:

After:

R

·
0 Posts
midtown said:
Excellent job! Correct me if I'm wrong but I think HW's might have a slot mag?

These are real close.. they are called SHO (silver hot ones)

R

·
0 Posts
midtown said:
Rob, I was thinking more from the Black Box cars. Possibly from a gasser?

Yup, Classical Gassers - Henry J and Austin coupe have them... good memory.

Don't have the camera today, so no pics... sorry

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes,
You guys are correct, but there not the correct looking slot mags.
The slots in the others are either to small or to large.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I'm a big advocate of correct wheels on TV and movie cars. It makes a world of difference. That's why I love Charawheels' version of the Back to the Future Delorean, Speed Racer's Mach 5 and K.I.T.T. The wheels are awesome.
Nice job Itfalcon. I may try doing the same thing. Except, I may add a little police light on the top. Have you thought of doing that?

- Joe J.
www.hollywood-diecast.com

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Nice job - I believe that the original car had Cragers. Now what you need is to make Hutch's car. I believe it was a mustrd or light brown 74 LTD. You can make two verisions of it - the broken down version like they had in most of the shows or the pimped out version that I believe Huggy Bear redid in one episode. Did I watch this show too much????????????

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Nice Work!..Dave.

Those wheels you put on look much better than the original (Cragars) that JL did the car with.
The "real McCoys", on the showcar... Are an American Racing slotted Magnesium(polished for the camera), and can be found on the HotWheels 100%(GM Performance Parts series) '58 Corvette.
At least the closest wheel I've seen in 1/64 scale.

Jeff Fleetwood

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sweet! That is very good work. What trick do you use to get the base back on? I've tried wheel/axle swaps but the base never like to stick. I use a Dremel to drill out the "fastener" to get it apart. Depending on how far you go, it won't stick on it own again. I tried sod. iron, Crazy Glue but no luck.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
FALCON - Drop me a line - I have a few of these sitting around - would love to have you convert one!! Maybe do a second HOW-To for the site???

Drop me a line -

[email protected]

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
First, Thanks for all the positve feed back!!!!

dba-one,
I use a two part 5 minute epoxy to glue the cars back together. It works great for me.

JLWahl,
The new slots JL has out look like the old steel slots from back in the day. Steel slot mags were flat in the area where the slots are at. The Aluminum or Mag. slots had the slots cut into a radius section or dished section of the rim.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts