Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the mid 1980's, several helicopters were put into storage at NASA's Ames research center at Moffet Field and mostly forgotten. Almost a century later, when the ESA, NASA, and several other space agencies combined to form the United Earth Space Probe Agency,later known simply as Starfleet , these aircraft were rediscovered. Realizing their potential as training aircraft for future shuttle pilots, they were refurbished and put back into service, flying with a variation of their old NASA livery until the 2270's. This particular aircraft, the Bell UH-1 Iroquois, was piloted by future Enterprise helmsman Hikaru Sulu.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
you know, I was gonna mention how, just in case a Starfleet officer got stuck in the 20th century and needed to fly one, Starfleet would have a Huey lying around.

swift! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Well, that does explain why Sulu knows how to fly a chopper. But I assume the idea was done with tongue at least partly in cheek, because the backstory is pretty far-fetched. I mean, do today's armies or navies use any functioning equipment, for training or any other purpose, that's a century old -- let alone two or three centuries?

The venerable Huey does look pretty sharp in Starfleet Academy drag, though.

And are those supposed to be decorative fuel storage tanks in the background? :tongue:

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
and a solid granite landing zone! Them Starfleet types are fancy!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Well, that does explain why Sulu knows how to fly a chopper. But I assume the idea was done with tongue at least partly in cheek, because the backstory is pretty far-fetched. I mean, do today's armies or navies use any functioning equipment, for training or any other purpose, that's a century old -- let alone two or three centuries?

The venerable Huey does look pretty sharp in Starfleet Academy drag, though.

And are those supposed to be decorative fuel storage tanks in the background? :tongue:

Special forces still train with the M1911A1 .45 caliber Colt, it's 98 years old so that's close to a century.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
and the bayonet, technology hundreds of thousands of years old. Not that Clovis points could be lashed to M16's...

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
A neat project!

Just one observation- the gold arrowhead on the tail would not have been there in Sulu's time- It was only adopted as a Starfleet symbol after the TOS Enterprise's mission concluded.

·
Banned
3,134 Posts
Just one observation- the gold arrowhead on the tail would not have been there in Sulu's time- It was only adopted as a Starfleet symbol after the TOS Enterprise's mission concluded.
to clarify, each ship had their own unique insignia. The one on the tail represents the Enterprise command division later adopted by the whole of Starfleet as their badge probably for uniformity's sake (or for the fans being that the Enterprise was everyone's favorite ship)

So in Sulu's academy days, the chopper would have had to been assigned to the Enterprise for it to have that emblem.

Not picking it apart, honest.

·
Registered
4,821 Posts
to clarify, each ship had their own unique insignia. The one on the tail represents the Enterprise command division later adopted by the whole of Starfleet as their badge probably for uniformity's sake (or for the fans being that the Enterprise was everyone's favorite ship)

So in Sulu's academy days, the chopper would have had to been assigned to the Enterprise for it to have that emblem. The name Enterprise should be somewhere on it also in that case.

Not picking it apart, honest.
That would work assuming a cadet would be assigned to a particular ship while still training- the Constellation, Exeter, etc... Would all have individual choppers stowed at the Academy for their cadet's training...

I do like the idea of tha Academy having older craft for the cadets to practice with- it rounds out the skills. IIRC Chuck Yeager could fly anything ever built- Bi-Wings, Jets, you name it...

·
Banned
1,992 Posts
This is a logical concept. In todays Navy, Cadets train on board the "USS CONSTITUTION" the 1812 sailing vessel, a vessel that still maintains it's 'commisioned ' status in the fleet.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
This is a logical concept. In todays Navy, Cadets train on board the "USS CONSTITUTION" the 1812 sailing vessel, a vessel that still maintains it's 'commisioned ' status in the fleet.
Of course, how could I forget "Old Ironsides," actually launched in 1797 and still a commissioned U.S. Navy ship? I stand corrected.

Aye, and she's still a beauty!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts