Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
945 Posts
Trekfreak said:
Anyone got the set yet? if so, on a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate this set?
Well I haven't got one yet, however my brother purchased it, he said if you are really die hard about wanting the original print that was the only reason to get it. He said that the "original" cut of Star Wars was like watching in the theater in '77, literally.

·
Registered
5,753 Posts
Like what has been mentioned by folks on other boards, the Star Wars film, only has the original title of the '77 release restored. The rest of the film is the 1984 rerelease version.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Trek Ace said:
Like what has been mentioned by folks on other boards, the Star Wars film, only has the original title of the '77 release restored. The rest of the film is the 1984 rerelease version.
And what would the differences be between the 77 and 84 versions? I was born in 78...one of my earliest memories is "Empire" in the theatre.

·
Oxidation Genius
31,155 Posts
phrankenstign said:
....so it is REALLY called STAR WARS.....and NOT "STAR WARS Episode IV A New Hope"?
Yes! That's how it was released. Nobody knew there'd be a sequel, much less four more.

It was a breath of fresh air to see Star Wars again in all it's unadulterated, unaltered, Han-shoots-first glory. It's like watching a complete movie, rather than a film-school excercise that been diddled with and hacked up to suit an indecisive ADHD student's every whim.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
John P said:
Yes! That's how it was released. Nobody knew there'd be a sequel, much less four more.

It was a breath of fresh air to see Star Wars again in all it's unadulterated, unaltered, Han-shoots-first glory. It's like watching a complete movie, rather than a film-school excercise that been diddled with and hacked up to suit an indecisive ADHD student's every whim.
I wonder if Da Vinci would have fixed Mona Lisa's smile into a huge grin if he'd been given the chance to digitally alter it at a fraction of the cost of repaining it.....Hmmmm

·
Registered
4,142 Posts
Picky, picky. :)

I too would be curious to know what differences exist between the '77 release and the '84 rerelease. Is it mostly in the sound/music mix? I have heard on some releases the sound FX or music is cranked up and covers up dialogue.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
spe130 asked:
And what would the differences be between the 77 and 84 versions?
One difference:

In the original "STAR WARS", while the heroes are in the control
room of the DEATH STAR , Obi-Wan has R2 locate
the Tractor Beam controls. The film shows a screen with blueprints
(deck plans?) and a flashing indicator.

Later releases have 3-PO giving directions via a voice-over, as
though we couldn't figure out what was going on otherwise. :rolleyes:
Databank entry

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
I am happy with the Special Editions I have. I have the three set VHS set of the original releases. I like the SE better so will not be giving GL any more cash for Star Wars!

Max Bryant

1 - 14 of 14 Posts