Hobbyist Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello :wave:,
I am new here & wanted to start out by showing my just finished Republic Star Destroyer.
The goal for this design was that of a heavily battled ship in battle. It is mounted to a custom base I designed using the opening movie scene from SWIII. The base is a custom light box so the scene is illuminated. The model is suspended using acrylic tubes. One of the tubes is the wire routing for the model. The base also has a sound system which plays the first 5 minutes of the opening of the movie.
The model is heavily "lit up" I used 4 different sizes of fiber cable as well as a bunch of LEDs & a few standard bulbs for the bottom hangar area to give it a nice yellow light glow. The red fibers flash.
I designed explosions on top using clear casting urethane & fiber cables. They have a hole in the bottom for a color changing LED.
The paint scheme is keeping with the movie using lots of flats. I liked the viewing of the ship in the Clone Wars Cartoon so I emphasised the heavy outlines giving a dark over sharpened look.
Also recast the engines to allow a side glow and made diffusers to diffuse the light.

I build light kits to sell so I am finishing up the kit design for this model. My kits are "no solder" kits. They are wired & ready. Usually only a couple of wires need to be cut for routing but i include quick com connectors that you just insert the wire in clamp & it's done.
I have a kit for the Ertl Star Wars Star Destroyer as well.
My kits are focused on being easy & fun not extreme perfect detail.
Thanks for looking!

P.S. Let me know if I'm doing something wrong with the posting.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Wow! Very cool lighting of that ship. I wouldn't have been gutsy enough to try for the upper hull explosions!! You made it work nicely though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Details

The hardest part of the explosions were modeling them. Once I had the design done securing them to the model was easy, the LED is inside the casting so the only holes that needed to be tapped through the hull was for the two leads. So very small holes were needed which gives support to the LEDs, which supports the explosion castings. I also allowed extra wire under the hull to pull up the leads for replacing the LEDS.
Side note; I have been working with LEDs for 12 years and they do burn out also they loose brightness. So when building please remember plan out the lighting and the replacement of it if needed.
The fiber wire is comprised of about 4 different sizes. The model has a basic "pyramid design" so in order to give it the proper accent to retain the large to small design the lighting needed to accent this. The bottom fibers are large and the top are small. I do have some smaller intermingled in with the large on the bottom to give a depth effect. Also the fibers are staggered cut, meaning some are flush cut to the model while the one beside it is left protruding out from the model some. This adds to the depth of field viewing.
Also the guns on either side do flash blue.
Thanks for noticing!:)

·
Registered
664 Posts
I do have some smaller intermingled in with the large on the bottom to give a depth effect. Also the fibers are staggered cut, meaning some are flush cut to the model while the one beside it is left protruding out from the model some. This adds to the depth of field viewing.
That's a great idea! I have the file that one away! Awesome model!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts